Austria beats Sweden to win team event at worlds
February 12, 2013
SCHLADMING, Austria – Overall World Cup champion Marcel Hirscher helped Austria win the team event Tuesday and earn the host nation its first gold medal at the Alpine skiing world championships. Hirscher teamed with Philipp Schoerghofer, Michaela Kirchgasser and Nicole Hosp to defeat Sweden 4-0 in the final. Germany edged Canada in the small final for third place. The team event has been part of the worlds since 2005, with Austria also winning in 2007. Defending champion France lost in the quarterfinals to Germany.
Trending In: Sports
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- The Outsider: Is Gaper Day at A-Basin on the decline?
- MCL tears are a common ski injury
- 2016-17 season passes for Copper Mountain and Epic Pass ski resorts now on sale at discounted rates
- As skimo booms, Colorado athletes qualify for World Championships in Italy on Feb. 23
- Probation sentence for seven-time DUI offender highlights prosecutors’ frustration over recent law change
- Dog seriously injured after run-in with skier on Tiehack in Aspen
- Lake Tahoe weather: 3+ feet of snow blankets region; power outages begin
- Trump administration puts recreational marijuana in crosshairs
- Greeley teen identified as victim of train wreck in Eaton