Austria beats Sweden to win team event at worlds
February 12, 2013
SCHLADMING, Austria – Overall World Cup champion Marcel Hirscher helped Austria win the team event Tuesday and earn the host nation its first gold medal at the Alpine skiing world championships. Hirscher teamed with Philipp Schoerghofer, Michaela Kirchgasser and Nicole Hosp to defeat Sweden 4-0 in the final. Germany edged Canada in the small final for third place. The team event has been part of the worlds since 2005, with Austria also winning in 2007. Defending champion France lost in the quarterfinals to Germany.
News from across the Web
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Colorado kayakers, rafters won’t get high flows on the mellow Blue River this Memorial Day weekend
- Summit ‘Rugby’ County, USA: Home to the Blue Goose, Renegades and Summit Tigers rugby clubs
- Mountain Wheels: Audi’s high-energy SQ5 SUV aims at performance-minded drivers (review)
- End of an era: Arapahoe Basin volunteer ski patrol program finished after at least 4 decades
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- SWAT team called to armed standoff in Silverthorne
- BREAKING: Silverthorne police request residents take shelter
- Peaceful conclusion to armed standoff in Silverthorne
- Two climbers rescued after all-night mission on Quandary Peak Monday
- Silverthorne developer seeks community feedback on project that could transform town