Austrian skier Bjorn Sieber, 23, dies in car crash
October 26, 2012
SCHWARZENBERG, Austria – World Cup Alpine skier Bjorn Sieber of Austria died Friday after the van he was riding in swerved off a mountain road and rolled down a hill, police and the Austrian ski federation said.
The 23-year-old Sieber wasn’t on the team for Sunday’s season-opening giant slalom in Soelden, Austria, but was scheduled to be one of the skiers who test the course before a race.
“He was one the biggest all-round talents on the Austrian ski team,” the federation said in a statement.
Police said Sieber’s brother Marc was hospitalized with unknown injuries after the van carrying the brothers went off a narrow road and rolled 70 yards down the hill.
Police said it was unclear who was driving the vehicle, which had to avoid oncoming traffic on the road in Austria’s most western province of Vorarlberg.
Men’s coach Mathias Berthold said the team was “in shock” and will wear black ribbons during the race on Sunday.
“This overshadows everything,” Berthold said. “He was a great guy. He was loved by the team. We will miss him.”
Sieber won two medals at world junior championships – silver in giant slalom in 2009 and bronze in super-G in 2008.
His best World Cup result was seventh at a super-combined event in February 2011 in Bansko, Bulgaria.
News from across the Web
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Gallery: Sirens of Lake Dillon at the 10th Timberline Cruiser Regatta (photos)
- Go virtual snow tubing at Keystone Resort on a sunny June afternoon (360 video)
- Mountain Wheels: Volvo’s revised XC60 SUV amps up the speed, safety (review)
- Breckenridge Dew Tour, Copper U.S. Grand Prix now qualifiers for 2018 Winter Olympics
- Mountain Soul: From the Breck Epic to Keystone Strider races, Breck is a bike mecca
- Silverthorne construction fatality may have been caused by equipment blind spot, inspectors say
- Knopf: Why does Colorado make it so hard for immigrant to get driver’s licenses? (column)
- Silverthorne celebrates opening of $9M performing arts center
- Mountain Town News: Jackson mayor takes down picture of Trump
- Steep push, stunning views on the Lenawee Trail outside Keystone