Austrian skier Bjorn Sieber, 23, dies in car crash
October 26, 2012
SCHWARZENBERG, Austria – World Cup Alpine skier Bjorn Sieber of Austria died Friday after the van he was riding in swerved off a mountain road and rolled down a hill, police and the Austrian ski federation said.
The 23-year-old Sieber wasn’t on the team for Sunday’s season-opening giant slalom in Soelden, Austria, but was scheduled to be one of the skiers who test the course before a race.
“He was one the biggest all-round talents on the Austrian ski team,” the federation said in a statement.
Police said Sieber’s brother Marc was hospitalized with unknown injuries after the van carrying the brothers went off a narrow road and rolled 70 yards down the hill.
Police said it was unclear who was driving the vehicle, which had to avoid oncoming traffic on the road in Austria’s most western province of Vorarlberg.
Men’s coach Mathias Berthold said the team was “in shock” and will wear black ribbons during the race on Sunday.
“This overshadows everything,” Berthold said. “He was a great guy. He was loved by the team. We will miss him.”
Sieber won two medals at world junior championships – silver in giant slalom in 2009 and bronze in super-G in 2008.
His best World Cup result was seventh at a super-combined event in February 2011 in Bansko, Bulgaria.
Trending In: Sports
- Young again: Scenes from the 2017 Summit Count 50+ Winter Games
- In the Field: From backpacking Summit County to Cuba’s Bay of Pigs, we learn to embrace the unknown
- Back pain? Be gone with 7 yoga poses from physical therapists
- Summit locals top podiums at Copper WinterBike, USATF Indoor Track National Champs
- Mountain Wheels: Best-selling Toyota Camry goes long and lean for its latest generation (column)
- Healthy economy, cheap gas prices mean more trips to Summit — and more traffic fatalities
- Summit County bars and restaurants taking up the fight against sexual assault
- Vail Resorts to buy Stowe Mountain Resort in Vermont
- Summit County assessor triumphs in bulk of initial property-tax appeals
- Snowboarder seriously injured at Buttermilk in Aspen