Avy training in an all-female crowd
December 20, 2012
It’s not just any avalanche course.
Backcountry Babes, formerly known as Babes in the Backcountry, offers women-specific snow training in everything from avalanche awareness to steep-skiing know-how.
And they’re kicking off the season in mid-January with two avalanche courses, one non-hut (Jan. 11-13, $375) and one hut-based (Feb. 12-14, $595). The non-hut class splits time between the Lodge and Spa at Breckenridge and being in the field on Bald Mountain. The hut trip is at Francie’s Cabin outside of Breckenridge.
Led by women and designed for women, the courses vary from those offered by Colorado Mountain College, Rocky Mountain Guides, the Colorado Avalanche Information Center, Chicago Ridge snowcat tours and other organizations offering American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education (AIARE) and American Avalanche Association certifications.
The curriculum is the same, but it’s a chance for women to experience all-female camaraderie in backcountry touring, a male-dominated activity that can be challenging for women to break into.
“Learning in an all-female environment gives women the empowerment and confidence to actively participate in making vital decisions when recreating in the backcountry,” said Cindy Boisvert, the Babes marketing director. “With a high number of avalanche-related deaths in Colorado last year, it is more important than ever to educate yourself about how to play safely in the backcountry and avoid avalanche danger.”
Backcountry Babes’ Colorado winter clinic lineup also includes a Jan. 6 Mountain Tele Tuner at Loveland. Now based in Alaska, there are opportunities for workshops while on the go, such as the backcountry basics course Jan. 12-13 in Anchorage and the “Femme Fatale” freeride ski clinic in Alyeska, Alaska. An avalanche course is also slated for Feb. 1-3 in Anchorage.
Under new ownership, the company also offers mountain bike clinics as well as bike, whitewater and backpacking adventures and wellness retreats.
To learn more or to register, visit http://www.backcountry
News from across the Web
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Dirt, wind and pirates in Frisco at Timberline Cruiser Regatta and free Frisco Bike Fling on June 24
- Breckenridge Bike Guide: Eric Mamula’s Breck lunch loop
- Go virtual snow tubing at Keystone Resort on a sunny June afternoon (360 video)
- Work It Out: 8 best yoga poses for recovery and relaxation
- Breckenridge Dew Tour, Copper U.S. Grand Prix now qualifiers for 2018 Winter Olympics
- Silverthorne construction fatality may have been caused by equipment blind spot, inspectors say
- Frisco’s 10 Mile Music Hall will be biggest venue of its kind in the Rockies, owners say
- A sneak peek at the $9 million Silverthorne Performing Arts Center (video, photos)
- Faces of Hope, Part 5: Breckenridge couple learns to live with pain of son’s suicide
- Breckenridge ambulance provider stripped of transport rights after spat with county government