Bike up for grabs at South Park BMX fundraiser
April 20, 2012
The South Park BMX track is hosting a fundraiser Sunday with the goal of raising $5,000. One attendee will ride away in style by guessing the number of jelly beans in a jar to win a new BMX bike.
“What better way to celebrate Earth Day than to promote a green sport,” said park spokesman Saam Golgoon.
The track is giving away a 2011 Redline MX20, donated by High Alpine Sports. The winner will be announced during the fundraiser and will be given to the person with the closest guess on the number of jelly beans in the jar, per tradition. Each guess costs a suggested $5 donation and there is no limit on the number of guesses. The winner does not have to be present to win the bike. (Guesses may also be submitted on their Facebook page.)
Funds raised at the event will pay for fixing the drainage on the track and apply Soil Tak, a product that prevents erosion and preserves a superior racing surface throughout the season.
But the athletic challenge is the main focus of the fundraiser, Golgoon said. Participants will select one of four activities, cycling, walking, running or swimming, and the athlete will gather sponsors through friends, family and local businesses to raise money.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- 660 tons of herring: The Anderson family fishing story, from Summit County to Chignik, Alaska
- Spring ice fishing on the honey holes of Lake Dillon
- KneeHab: 7 yoga poses for ACL rehab and recovery
- The Outsider: Is Gaper Day at A-Basin on the decline?
- Dear Drewbie: Your feelings are what you eat (seriously) when it comes to mood and food