Breckenridge 100 wraps up Rocky Mountain Endurance series Sunday
July 12, 2013
The Rocky Mountain Endurance Series comes to a close this week with the Breckenridge 100 — James Lindenblatt Memorial. The race, in its ninth year, will honor Lindenblatt, an avid biker who lost his life in an avalanche earlier this year.
"We're using the race this year to honor his passion for endurance racing," said Thane Wright, series organizer.
Organizers caution that the large scale of the race will mean some temporary trail closures across Summit County.
The full 100-mile, three-lap course winds its way all over the county.
"Your goin to Copper, to Keystone, to Como all in the same day. It's a pretty cool thing," said Josh Tostada, a pro-rider and six-time 100 winner.
"There's features to each loop that make them special," said Wright.
Eighty percent of the race is singletrack and features some of the most famous stretches of trail in the county, including portions of the Colorado Trail and Wheeler Pass down to Copper. The full 100-mile race crosses the Continental Divide three times and covers 13,719 feet of elevation.
"If you brought someone to Breck, you'd take them on these trails," said Tostada. "It showcases the best riding in Summit County."
Tostada returns this year to go for another win, after two consecutive second-place finishes.
"It's in my backyard, so why not?" he said.
Registration is open and continues with day-of sign-up. For those not looking for quite as serious an undertaking, there is also the two-lap B-68(mile) marathon-length course or the B-32 half-marathon length on one lap of the course.
The Breckenridge 100 will crown Rocky Mountain Endurance Series Champions in each division at the end of the race. Carter Park in Breck will serve as the staging area and finish line for the races.
More information is available at http://www.warriorscycling.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Pro snowboarder Torstein Horgmo’s video log takes you to Copper Mountain’s public park
- Dear Drewbie: Enter a ‘Youathlon’ for mental health with events you love and just one winner — you!
- Your guide to Summit County’s best OHV and Jeep trails
- Breckenridge Hiking Trails: Mohawk Lake
- Skateboarders descend on Breckenridge for Battle on the Blue
- Colorado 14er for sale: Buy Culebra Peak in the Sangre de Cristo Range for $105 million
- After years of hiding, Summit County sheriff’s deputy proudly comes out as transgender
- Eagle man allegedly tried to beat to death female bartender at closing time
- Summit County visitor captures possible mountain lion screams on video in Keystone
- Photos: Peak 2 Fire burn area update