Breckenridge 100 wraps up Rocky Mountain Endurance series Sunday
July 12, 2013
The Rocky Mountain Endurance Series comes to a close this week with the Breckenridge 100 — James Lindenblatt Memorial. The race, in its ninth year, will honor Lindenblatt, an avid biker who lost his life in an avalanche earlier this year.
“We’re using the race this year to honor his passion for endurance racing,” said Thane Wright, series organizer.
Organizers caution that the large scale of the race will mean some temporary trail closures across Summit County.
The full 100-mile, three-lap course winds its way all over the county.
“Your goin to Copper, to Keystone, to Como all in the same day. It’s a pretty cool thing,” said Josh Tostada, a pro-rider and six-time 100 winner.
“There’s features to each loop that make them special,” said Wright.
Eighty percent of the race is singletrack and features some of the most famous stretches of trail in the county, including portions of the Colorado Trail and Wheeler Pass down to Copper. The full 100-mile race crosses the Continental Divide three times and covers 13,719 feet of elevation.
“If you brought someone to Breck, you’d take them on these trails,” said Tostada. “It showcases the best riding in Summit County.”
Tostada returns this year to go for another win, after two consecutive second-place finishes.
“It’s in my backyard, so why not?” he said.
Registration is open and continues with day-of sign-up. For those not looking for quite as serious an undertaking, there is also the two-lap B-68(mile) marathon-length course or the B-32 half-marathon length on one lap of the course.
The Breckenridge 100 will crown Rocky Mountain Endurance Series Champions in each division at the end of the race. Carter Park in Breck will serve as the staging area and finish line for the races.
More information is available at http://www.warriorscycling.com.
Trending In: Sports
- Slaying the first North American superpipe at the 2016 Rev Tour in Copper Mountain (photos and video)
- Summit’s Hanna Markel makes D-1 women’s hockey debut with University of Minnesota-Duluth
- Dew Tour Day 1: Harlaut, Sildaru and McMorris dominate the big-air slopestyle jump in a blizzard
- Dew Tour cancels modified superpipe with Danny Davis, Kelly Clark for 2016
- Dew Tour welcomes a new era with friends, family and fresh powder galore
- Summit County locals open French-inspired bistro on Breckenridge Main St.
- Merchants in Breckenridge to pay for customer parking validations
- Chairlift speed dating event at Loveland Ski Area Saturday
- Housing Divided, Part 12: Renters vulnerable in disputes with landlords
- Summit County weather forecast calls for steady snow throughout weekend