Breckenridge avalanche lecture series continues Thursday
February 20, 2014
The public avalanche lecture series hosted by Breckenridge Ski Resort Ski Patrol resumes Thursday night in the Ten Mile Room at the Village at Breckenridge.
"We try to do it monthly throughout the season," Breckenridge spokeswoman Kristen Petitt Stewart said of the lecture series. "We wanted to take a proactive approach to educate our guests. It's a great opportunity to learn more about what we do, understand the snowpack and get a historical perspective on avalanche activity in our area."
The monthly lecture series features speakers from the Breckenridge Ski Patrol, the Colorado Avalanche Information Center, the Summit County Rescue Group and other experienced backcountry enthusiasts. With recent avalanche deaths in the news last week, this week's lecture topic will be avalanche rescue.
"It's important for us as a community," Stewart said of the speaker series, "and our patrollers are passionate about it. We also want to give a forum to the CAIC to share in-depth information about the snowpack in our area."
This has already been a particularly dangerous avalanche season, with five fatalities in Colorado alone.
Avalanche danger remains a serious concern, with significant amounts of snowfall and temperature fluctuations.
Recommended Stories For You
With backcountry skiing continuing to be one of the fastest growing markets in the ski industry and more and more companies introducing affordable backcountry gear into their annual lines, avalanche awareness education has become a necessity.
The lecture series at Breckenridge is part of the avalanche center's ongoing effort to educate the public about the dangers inherent in backcountry travel.
Thursday's lecture is scheduled to run from 6-8 p.m., with a question-and-answer session after the talk.
Admission is free with organizers providing pizza and a cash bar.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Team Summit freestyle skier Tori Ware recognized as USSA Rocky Mountain Division Colorado All-Star
- Prep roundup: Tigers XC posts 18 personal-bests in Rifle
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Bill Kresge completes mission to hula-hoop all 56 Coloado 14ers
- Mountain Wheels: Volkswagen’s Southwest SUV road trip offers glimpse of Atlas (review)
- Colorado gem hunters are back near Alma mine that was once a mother lode of rhodochrosite, the official state mineral
- Vail Resorts to buy The North Face and Columbia stores in Breckenridge
- Hate ski boots but love to ski? This Colorado company created a way to allow skiers to wear snowboard boots
- Rescued Silverthorne hiker recounts how he survived 80 hours lost in Colorado 14er backcountry
- Girl who fell from Hotel Colorado fights for life, regained consciousness but in ‘extremely critical’ condition, mom says