Broncos look to Elvis Dumervil for cap relief
March 7, 2013
DENVER – The Broncos are asking defensive end Elvis Dumervil to take a pay cut so they can create more salary cap room for free agency.
Dumervil signed a six-year, $61.5 million contract in 2010 when Josh McDaniels was coaching the team and before John Elway joined the Denver front office. The seven-year veteran is scheduled to make $12 million in 2013.
The team wants Dumervil to take a cut or restructure his contract, according to a person familiar with the situation, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because details of the negotiations were not public.
Dumervil had 11 sacks last season, second on the team behind Von Miller. Dumervil led the league with 17 sacks in 2009.
The Broncos need more cap space while trying to shore up their interior defensive line, cornerback and running back positions. Peyton Manning will earn $20 million in 2013 and if the Broncos had Dumervil play at his current number, those two would account for more than a quarter of their cap space.
Among the pass rushers on the market this season include Manning’s former teammate with the Colts, Dwight Freeney.
Dumervil’s agent, Marty Magid, did not immediately respond to an email message from the AP.
Trending In: Sports
- ‘Writing the book’: On a ski bike at Keystone with Devin Lenz of Lenz Sports
- Mountain Wheels: Best-selling Toyota Camry goes long and lean for its latest generation (column)
- Back pain? Be gone with 7 yoga poses from physical therapists
- Young again: Scenes from the 2017 Summit Count 50+ Winter Games
- Moguls, slalom and big-mountain results from Team Summit and Loveland Ski Club
- Breckenridge police issued shelter in place warning due to barricarded individual
- Smell of weed in Denver leads feds to bust of Nebraska marijuana network
- After devastating injuries, Chris Hawks returns to the slopes as a coach
- Healthy economy, cheap gas prices mean more trips to Summit — and more traffic fatalities
- Mountain Town News: Snow and ice can kill just outside your door (column)