Broncos OC McCoy agrees to become Chargers coach
January 15, 2013
SAN DIEGO – Mike McCoy is the new head coach of the San Diego Chargers.
The team has scheduled a 2 p.m. PST news conference Tuesday to introduce McCoy, who had been the offensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos.
The 40-year-old McCoy replaces Norv Turner, who was fired along with general manager A.J. Smith after the Chargers finished 7-9 and missed the playoffs for the third straight season.
McCoy’s hiring comes three days after the top-seeded Broncos were eliminated from the playoffs in a home loss to the Baltimore Ravens.
The coaching search was led by Tom Telesco, who was hired as Chargers GM last week. Telesco also is 40.
The Broncos have won consecutive AFC West titles. McCoy tutored quarterbacks Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow in 2011, and Peyton Manning in 2012.
Recommended Stories For You
McCoy, who interviewed with the Miami Dolphins last year after retooling Denver’s offense to fit Tebow’s skill set, burnished his head coaching credentials this season while blending the power formations the Broncos used in leading the league in rushing last year with Tebow and some of the spread formations that Manning ran in Indianapolis.
Denver swept the Chargers in 2012, including an epic 35-24 victory at San Diego on Oct. 15 when Manning calmly led them back from a 24-0 halftime deficit.
With the Chargers, McCoy will work with Philip Rivers, who struggled this season, in large part because of a shaky offensive line. Rivers was sacked 49 times and committed 22 turnovers, giving him 47 turnovers in two seasons.
McCoy played quarterback at Long Beach State and Utah before moving on to the NFL Europe and the CFL. He began his pro coaching career with Carolina in 1999 before moving to the Broncos in 2009.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Team Summit freestyle skier Tori Ware recognized as USSA Rocky Mountain Division Colorado All-Star
- Prep roundup: Tigers XC posts 18 personal-bests in Rifle
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Bill Kresge completes mission to hula-hoop all 56 Coloado 14ers
- Mountain Wheels: Volkswagen’s Southwest SUV road trip offers glimpse of Atlas (review)
- Colorado gem hunters are back near Alma mine that was once a mother lode of rhodochrosite, the official state mineral
- Vail Resorts to buy The North Face and Columbia stores in Breckenridge
- Rescued Silverthorne hiker recounts how he survived 80 hours lost in Colorado 14er backcountry
- Hate ski boots but love to ski? This Colorado company created a way to allow skiers to wear snowboard boots
- Girl who fell from Hotel Colorado fights for life, regained consciousness but in ‘extremely critical’ condition, mom says