Broncos, Peyton Manning probably won’t pass as frequently as on Saturday
August 26, 2013
The Broncos have made it clear all along they wouldn't mind throwing the ball fewer times than in 2012, when they averaged 37 passing attempts in the regular season. It's not a stylistic issue as much as it is a realization that it would be a product of, among other things, an improvement in the ground game.
So if Saturday night's 27-26 victory over the St. Louis Rams truly came in a dress rehearsal game destined to be a preview, rather than a meaningless exhibition, the first half at Sports Authority Field at Mile High at least raised eyebrows — and perhaps concern.
Peyton Manning threw a staggering 25 passes in the first quarter alone, and went 25-for-34 for 234 yards in the half before Brock Osweiler took over for the second half. Of Manning's 25 completions, only two were for more than 15 yards — a 23-yarder to Andre Caldwell and a 17-yarder to Knowshon Moreno. And 13 of the 25 gained fewer than 10 yards.
The extenuating circumstances tied to the high number of Manning throws included the Rams' long return of a Ronnie Hillman fumble that set up a short touchdown, and a long punt return that set up another St. Louis score, keeping the Rams' offense off the field and skewing the time-of-possession figures.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Team Summit freestyle skier Tori Ware recognized as USSA Rocky Mountain Division Colorado All-Star
- Prep roundup: Tigers XC posts 18 personal-bests in Rifle
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Bill Kresge completes mission to hula-hoop all 56 Coloado 14ers
- Mountain Wheels: Volkswagen’s Southwest SUV road trip offers glimpse of Atlas (review)
- Colorado gem hunters are back near Alma mine that was once a mother lode of rhodochrosite, the official state mineral
- Vail Resorts to buy The North Face and Columbia stores in Breckenridge
- Rescued Silverthorne hiker recounts how he survived 80 hours lost in Colorado 14er backcountry
- Hate ski boots but love to ski? This Colorado company created a way to allow skiers to wear snowboard boots
- Girl who fell from Hotel Colorado fights for life, regained consciousness but in ‘extremely critical’ condition, mom says