Coker leads Summit Tigers to first victory
December 12, 2012
With an offense headed up by senior point guard Coy Coker, Summit boys’ basketball landed its first win of the season over Glenwood Springs in a 76-51 victory.
Coker didn’t lead the team in points scored (he tallied 20), but he surprised even himself in outside shooting, taking advantage of some open moments to sink six three-pointers.
Meanwhile, senior guard Markeith McDonald put up 25 points with 12 rebounds, at one point rallying from a layup at one end of the court into a solid defensive rebound at the other and finishing the series of plays with a layup that drew a foul. He missed the freethrows, but it didn’t stop the rest of McDonald’s game, as he finished with a double-double.
“We shot pretty good. We shot over 50 percent both from two’s and three’s,” head coach Phil Tronsrue said. The boys had doubled Glenwood’s score by halftime.
Sophomores Noah Glasco and Thomas DeBonnville lent a strong hand to the team with 11 and 10 points, respectively. The Tigers as a whole collected 12 offensive rebounds, 23 defensive rebounds and 11 steals.
Sitting at 1-4 on the season but now with an even, 1-1 split in the league, the team gets ready to take on non-league Bishop Machebeuf today at home.
Trending In: Sports
- Buried alive: Colorado Rapid Avalanche Deployment team inches closer to standard avy dog training
- Taming The Beavers: A-Basin’s Alan Henceroth talks about a landmark expansion
- Mountain Wheels: All-new Land Rover Discovery seeks SUV-loving families
- Summit Nordic launches GoFundMe campaign for Lake Placid Jr. Championships
- Athlete Q&A: Frisco’s Jim Smith started a snowboard company out of his own garage
- Male skier, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Six-story hotel proposal hopes to “put Dillon on the map”
- Summit County real estate prices soar due to high demand, low inventory
- Former Summit Housing Authority director reaches settlement with county
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4