Colorado backcountry film “MakingTurns” and free beer at Wilderness Sports Feb. 17
February 15, 2017
There's more to a backcountry skiing guidebook than good snow and pretty photos.
On Feb. 17, Denver-based author Fritz Sperry — author of "MakingTurns in the Tenmile-Mosquito Range," the first full-length guidebook to skiing Summit County's classic routes — comes to Wilderness Sports in Dillon for the premiere of his latest guidebook and first ski movie. Dubbed "MakingTurns in Colorado's Front Range," the film covers all sides of writing and publishing a ski guide, from the planning process and avalanche safety to, of course, untouched powder turns high in the peaks between Denver and Summit County. His latest guidebook, "MakingTurns in Colorado's Front Range, Volume 2: North of I-70" will be available for purchase.
The free event runs from 6-8 p.m. and includes the film screening, book signing, a talk from Sperry and free beer from Upslope Brewing. There's also a raffle for backcountry gear and more to benefit the Colorado Avalanche Information Center. Along with showing the film, Sperry will also discuss the process of collecting and skiing routes for his book series, published by a self-started company, Giterdun Publishing.
No reservations are required and the event is open to skiers or snowboarders of any age. For more info, see the Facebook event on the Giterdun Publishing page.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- From Bucks to Bolts: Breckenridge welcomes new junior hockey program for 2017-18 season
- Mountain Wheels: All-wheel-drive Toyota Sienna offers interior hugeness (review)
- Breckenridge Bike Guide: Minnie Mine trail (video)
- Breckenridge Hiking Trails: Mohawk Lake
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Hiker dies on Conundrum Creek Trail near Aspen, Pitkin County officials say
- Mountain Town News: Jackson Hole preparing for crowd like none other
- 100 homes sold for $90M breaks record for Colorado mountain towns, developer says
- A viewer’s guide for Monday’s solar eclipse
- A Summit County, Colorado, guide to the Great American Eclipse