Colorado ski areas invest in dining, chairs, snowmaking for 2013-14
September 5, 2013
With two months left before snowmaking begins in earnest, resorts are racing to finish a flurry of upgrades for 2013-14. While the days of new lifts accessing new trails are winding down — only one resort is expanding ski terrain for next season — resorts are investing heavily in snowmaking, as well as lodging and dining facilities.
DiningArapahoe Basin dropped $1 million on a remodel of the 6th Alley Bar & Grill and a base-lodge expansion. Beaver Creek is preparing for the 2015 FIS World Alpine Ski Championships with a new 500-seat restaurant at Red Tail Camp. Steamboat’s new 13,000-square-foot Four Points Lodge marks its most significant on-mountain improvement in 10 years. Loveland is adding its first on-mountain eatery at the remodeled Ptarmigan Roost Cabin.
SnowmakingDurango Mountain Resort, Eldora, Telluride, Ski Granby Ranch and Sunlight are adding new snowmaking equipment, reducing power costs while expanding capacity. Winter Park is replacing its snowmaking supply pipe.
GrowingThis year, Breckenridge is the only Colorado resort getting bigger, with its hard-earned expansion onto its 12,300-foot Peak 6, the largest terrain addition for the country’s busiest ski hill in the past decade. Peak 6 adds two new lifts accessing 400 acres of lift-served terrain and 143 acres of hike-to steeps.
Crested Butte is glading existing terrain, adding more tree skiing and kid-specific runs.
To read this article in its entirety, go to http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_24007255/colorado-ski-areas-invest-dining-chairs-snowmaking-2013?source=hot-topic-bar
Trending In: Sports
- Summit locals top podiums at Copper WinterBike, USATF Indoor Track National Champs
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- MCL tears are a common ski injury
- Back pain? Be gone with 7 yoga poses from physical therapists
- ‘Writing the book’: On a ski bike at Keystone with Devin Lenz of Lenz Sports
- Summit County police blotter: Cop stumbles on freshly-powdered nose
- Lake Tahoe weather: 3+ feet of snow blankets region; power outages begin
- Probation sentence for seven-time DUI offender highlights prosecutors’ frustration over recent law change
- Fremont Recpath receives $4 million in federal funds for construction
- Dog seriously injured after run-in with skier on Tiehack in Aspen