Embree out as Buffs football coach
November 25, 2012
Jon Embree is out at as Colorado football coach after just two seasons, according to multiple sources close to the program.
The Buffs were 4-21 in Embree’s two seasons and this past season went 1-11, the worst year in Colorado football history.
“I can’t believe it happened,” said linebacker Doug Rippy. “Man, it’s crazy. I had no idea. I didn’t see it coming at all. I don’t think he had enough time to come in and do what he needed to do. Obviously it’s the school’s decision but I didn’t see it coming.
“If you need to change the program around, you need more than two years. He needed people to buy into what he was trying to do.”
After the season finale, a 42-35 loss to Utah on Friday, Embree said he had been assured by athletic director Mike Bohn that he would be retained. Embree signed a four-year contract after taking over for Dan Hawkins two years ago. Hawkins went 19-39.
Bohn informed Embree Sunday afternoon of the change and Embree informed his staff of his dismissal.
To read this article in its entirety, go to http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_22064455/jon-embree-out-colorado-buffaloes-football-coach
Trending In: Sports
- Housing Divided, Part 5: Summit workers and families on brink of homelessness
- Summit Daily News announces the 2016 Best Of Summit (photos & video)
- Meet Nate Dogggg’s heirs to 1st chair at Arapahoe Basin
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area the first in North America to open terrain
- Breckenridge to start a new paid parking program later this year