First Frisco Run the Rockies Trail Half Marathon sees big turnout
August 17, 2014
The first annual Run the Rockies Trail Half Marathon saw a large turnout Saturday on the Frisco Peninsula. Organizers said 146 runners participated in the close to 13-mile race, while an additional 92 showed up for the 10K, which is now in its second year. Town of Frisco officials decided to expand on last year's race by replacing the 5K with a half marathon. Town recreation programs manager Linsey Kach said that the demand appears to be for longer trail runs.
"The craze right now seems to be for longer distances."
Turnout for the first-year half marathon clearly seems to have reinforced the idea. Last year's inaugural trail 5 and 10K races were held in early June in conjunction with the long-standing Run the Rockies road race from Copper Mountain to Frisco. The road race portion of the series — which will enter its 39th year in 2015 — annually attracts close to 500 runners.
Kach said the decision to move the trail run was made because of the increased popularity of trail running later in the summer when trail conditions are more consistent.
"We felt that we didn't have as high of numbers as we would like to see for a trail run," Kach said of last year's event. This year, she said, was more successful.
Saturday's race courses included an out-and-back along the shore of Lake Dillon for the 10K and combination of shoreline and inland peninsula trails for the half marathon.
Recommended Stories For You
"The great singletrack trails offer some breathtaking views," Kach said of the course.
Eric Ebeling finished first among men in the first running of the half marathon. He ran the course in 1 hour, 23 minutes, 43 seconds. Lindsay Krause was the top women's finisher (1:39:56). Jeremiah Gerardy finished first in the men's 10K in 40:07. Alexa Johnston was the top women's 10K finisher(55:08).
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Team Summit freestyle skier Tori Ware recognized as USSA Rocky Mountain Division Colorado All-Star
- Prep roundup: Tigers XC posts 18 personal-bests in Rifle
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Bill Kresge completes mission to hula-hoop all 56 Coloado 14ers
- KneeHab: Sex for knee patients? It’s a thing, and other post-op thoughts
- Vail Resorts to buy The North Face and Columbia stores in Breckenridge
- Colorado gem hunters are back near Alma mine that was once a mother lode of rhodochrosite, the official state mineral
- Hate ski boots but love to ski? This Colorado company created a way to allow skiers to wear snowboard boots
- Rescued Silverthorne hiker recounts how he survived 80 hours lost in Colorado 14er backcountry
- Girl who fell from Hotel Colorado fights for life, regained consciousness but in ‘extremely critical’ condition, mom says