Frisco Bay Marina children’s sandcastle competition returns Saturday
August 16, 2014
The Frisco Bay Marina will host its fourth annual children's sandcastle competition on Saturday, Aug. 9. The competition starts at 10 a.m. on the sandy beach near the marina docks. Kids will have until 11:30 a.m. to build their castles. Judging will begin at 11:30 a.m. with awards at noon.
"Dillon Reservoir is 9,017 feet above sea level and 1,200 miles from the Pacific coast, but that doesn't mean we have a lack of sandy beaches. In fact, we have a fabulous beach here at the Frisco Bay Marina and so we celebrate that each year with a kids' sandcastle competition," stated Jenn Shimp, marina office manager.
This year's celebrity judge will be Recco, one of Copper Mountain Resort's avalanche rescue dogs. Recco's handler, John Reller, is a Copper Mountain ski patroller in the winter and a lake patrol officer for the Summit County Sheriff's Office in the summer. Organizers said Recco's judging qualifications include a keen appreciation of sand and a love of art.
There will be four age divisions in the competition — 0-3, 4-6, 7-9 and 10-12. There will be participation prizes for each child and awards for first, second and third places in each age group. Kids will also receive free ice cream for taking part in the competition. Any items brought to enhance sandcastles must be left with the sandcastles for viewing throughout the day. Items may be picked up at 5 p.m.
Participation is free, but kids must register. Pre-registration is available online at http://www.friscobaymarina.com or in person at 9 a.m. on the day of the competition. Competition will be limited to 20 spots. Shovels and buckets will be available for sale at the Frisco Bay Marina.
For more information, please contact the Frisco Bay Marina at (970) 668-4334.
Trending In: Sports
- Young again: Scenes from the 2017 Summit Count 50+ Winter Games
- In the Field: From backpacking Summit County to Cuba’s Bay of Pigs, we learn to embrace the unknown
- Summit locals top podiums at Copper WinterBike, USATF Indoor Track National Champs
- Back pain? Be gone with 7 yoga poses from physical therapists
- MCL tears are a common ski injury
- Summit County bars and restaurants taking up the fight against sexual assault
- Vail Resorts to buy Stowe Mountain Resort in Vermont
- Summit County assessor triumphs in bulk of initial property-tax appeals
- Officials remove aircraft wreckage from Colorado wilderness
- Snowboarder seriously injured at Buttermilk in Aspen