Frisco hosts Bike to Work Day
June 26, 2014
The town of Frisco will celebrate Bike to Work Day Wednesday, June 25, with a number of free bike-friendly activities in and around town. Participating coffee shops will start the day by offering free coffee to anyone who bikes to town as part of Colorado Bike Month.
Town officials also are encouraging community members to ride their bikes to town at noon for the Lunchtime Lecture at the Historic Park Museum. Wednesday's topic will be on the Ute Indians of Colorado, presented by Colorado archaeologist Curtis Martin.
The Frisco lecture series is free to the public and takes place every Wednesday through the summer.
Bike to Work Day activities continue in the afternoon at the Island Grill — located in the Frisco Bay Marina. The marina will host a number of bike-related games and giveaways. The Island Grill will be offering a $5 burger-and-beer deal to those who ride their bikes to the marina or who are Summit Chamber members as part of a Bike to Work Day mixer from 4:30-7 p.m.
The state of Colorado has designated June as Colorado Bike Month in an effort to celebrate bicycling and Colorado as a premier bicycling state.
"This event is not only for fun, it also motivates citizens to use alternative transportation while encouraging novices and enthusiasts to experience the benefits of safely riding a bike to work, school, run errands and recreate," said town of Frisco events manager Nora Gilbertson.
Recommended Stories For You
Biking to work continues to be a Colorado tradition. The city of Boulder first celebrated Bike to Work Day more than 25 years ago. CDOT then began promoting it statewide, and in 1995 the Denver Regional Council of Governments began helping the area's cities and counties link their individual events together. Bike to Work Day is celebrated in many communities along the Front Range and in the mountains.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Team Summit freestyle skier Tori Ware recognized as USSA Rocky Mountain Division Colorado All-Star
- Prep roundup: Tigers XC posts 18 personal-bests in Rifle
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Bill Kresge completes mission to hula-hoop all 56 Coloado 14ers
- KneeHab: Sex for knee patients? It’s a thing, and other post-op thoughts
- Vail Resorts to buy The North Face and Columbia stores in Breckenridge
- Colorado gem hunters are back near Alma mine that was once a mother lode of rhodochrosite, the official state mineral
- Hate ski boots but love to ski? This Colorado company created a way to allow skiers to wear snowboard boots
- Rescued Silverthorne hiker recounts how he survived 80 hours lost in Colorado 14er backcountry
- Girl who fell from Hotel Colorado fights for life, regained consciousness but in ‘extremely critical’ condition, mom says