Frisco Rowing Center hosting open house
June 13, 2013
The Frisco Rowing Center will host an informational open house and free breakfast, Saturday morning at Frisco Bay Marina from 8-10. Anyone curious about the sport is invited to come down and check it out, and even go for a test row. For those unable to attend, the rowing club will host an additional session on June 29.
"It's geared toward locals to introduce them to the club," said club president Joanne Stolen.
For Hans Wurster, a member from Breckenridge, the club has been a great way to get some morning exercise.
"It's a beautiful setting," said Wurster, referring to rowing on Dillon Reservoir. "This morning an eagle flew over me."
He and Stolen encourage anyone looking for a new sport to try it out.
Perhaps best of all for Wurster is that rowing offers full-body exercise while still remaining low impact, unlike other sports.
"It doesn't wreck your knees," he said.
Club members will be on hand Saturday to answer questions. They will also have a rowing simulator on land with full-length oars to give people a feel for rowing, before trying on the reservoir.
"If you're a person who wants to find a nice social organization, this is a good thing," said Wurster. He sees the club as a community organization as well as an opportunity to exercise.
The club is open to all ages and abilities. Lessons and run rowing programs for youth as well as seniors are offered. The club also organizes a free adaptive program for those with physical disabilities interested in giving rowing a try.
Members have full access to the club's fleet of boats. Those in the club get out on the reservoir early in the morning, before wind, waves and boat traffic pick up.
Some, like Stolen get a really early start, "I go out at 5:30 a.m."
News from across the Web
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Dirt, wind and pirates in Frisco at Timberline Cruiser Regatta and free Frisco Bike Fling on June 24
- Breckenridge Bike Guide: Eric Mamula’s Breck lunch loop
- Go virtual snow tubing at Keystone Resort on a sunny June afternoon (360 video)
- Work It Out: 8 best yoga poses for recovery and relaxation
- Breckenridge Dew Tour, Copper U.S. Grand Prix now qualifiers for 2018 Winter Olympics
- Silverthorne construction fatality may have been caused by equipment blind spot, inspectors say
- Frisco’s 10 Mile Music Hall will be biggest venue of its kind in the Rockies, owners say
- A sneak peek at the $9 million Silverthorne Performing Arts Center (video, photos)
- Faces of Hope, Part 5: Breckenridge couple learns to live with pain of son’s suicide
- Breckenridge ambulance provider stripped of transport rights after spat with county government