Frisco’s Run the Rockies peninsula trail race adds half marathon
August 16, 2014
The town of Frisco's Run the Rockies trail races return to the Frisco peninsula for a second year Saturday, Aug. 16. This year's event will offer 10K and half-marathon options — the 5K, part of last year's running, has been cut. Organizers decided to move the trail races — an offshoot of the popular Run the Rockies road race, which is held in June — to August.
"Early season trail races seem to scare people away. People are intimidated by them because they haven't had as much time on the trails," town recreation programs manager Linsey Kach said, adding she thought having both events the same weekend also lowered turnout. "We felt that we didn't have as high of numbers as we would like to see for a trail run."
As for extending the course, she said the demand appears to be for longer runs.
"The craze right now seems to be longer distances."
Registration numbers bear that out: 115 runners have signed up for the half, 35 for the 10K. Organizers are hoping for around 250 participants for both races — no cap has been set for the event.
The 10K and half marathon will start and finish at the Frisco Nordic Center. The half marathon will begin at 8 a.m., the 10K at 8:30.
The 10K course will run along the western shore of the peninsula before looping back and to the Nordic Center. The half will loop the entire peninsula, weaving through its network of inland trails.
"The great singletrack trails offer some breathtaking views," Kach said, adding that they will appeal to a wide range of ability levels. "The climbs are there but they're not punishing."
Pre-registration is $60 for the half and $40 for the 10K. Day-of registration will be $65 for the half, $45 for the 10K. Youths 17 and under will receive a $10 discount on race fees. Day-of registration and packet pickup will take place from 7-8:15 a.m. on the morning of the race at the Nordic Center.
All racers will receive a commemorative Run the Rockies T-shirt. The top three male and female finishers in both races will receive an award. The awards ceremony will take place immediately following the race near the finish area. Organizers are still looking for race-day volunteers. To volunteer, contact Linsey Kach at (970) 668-9133 or via email at email@example.com.
Race registration is available online at http://www.RuntheRockies.com, by calling (970) 668-2558 or by stopping by the Frisco Adventure Park Day Lodge in Frisco.
News from across the Web
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Dirt, wind and pirates in Frisco at Timberline Cruiser Regatta and free Frisco Bike Fling on June 24
- Breckenridge Bike Guide: Eric Mamula’s Breck lunch loop
- Work It Out: 8 best yoga poses for recovery and relaxation
- Breckenridge Dew Tour, Copper U.S. Grand Prix now qualifiers for 2018 Winter Olympics
- Go virtual snow tubing at Keystone Resort on a sunny June afternoon (360 video)
- Frisco’s 10 Mile Music Hall will be biggest venue of its kind in the Rockies, owners say
- Silverthorne construction fatality may have been caused by equipment blind spot, inspectors say
- A sneak peek at the $9 million Silverthorne Performing Arts Center (video, photos)
- Faces of Hope, Part 5: Breckenridge couple learns to live with pain of son’s suicide
- Breckenridge ambulance provider stripped of transport rights after spat with county government