High Fives Foundation golf scramble at Copper raises 50K for injured athletes
September 10, 2016
On Aug. 30, the High Fives Foundation of Truckee, California hosted its second-annual Colorado Charity Golf Tournament on the fairways at Copper Creek Golf Course at Copper Resort. The weather shifted from drizzling to dazzling, and spirits were always shining. Thirty-six teams of four came out to raise money for High Fives athletes who are recovering from life-altering injuries.
Between registration fees, silent auctions and open donations, the foundation raised over $50,000. This is an all-time record for a High Fives golf tournament. The Foundation hosts tournaments in California, Vermont and Colorado. Last year, the Colorado event raised $34,000.
The $13,500 raised at the silent auction was matched dollar for dollar by the Foundation for Greater Good. This encouraged participants to bid, knowing their money counted double for the cause.
Four High Fives athletes were in attendance at the welcoming ceremony: Trevor Kennison, Megan Wemmer, Steve Wallace and Tim Burr. Professional skier Bobby Brown played in the tournament to show support for recovering mountain athletes.
"This year's event was phenomenal because the people in Colorado take care of their own," said Roy Tuscany, executive director for High Fives Foundation. "Everyone was here to raise money so that something like an injury won't stop our athletes from being outdoors and doing what we love to do."
Tuscany, 35, started with the Foundation in 2009 after the mountain community helped support him recover from a personal injury. Now, he's replicated that process for 114 athletes in 23 states.
Recommended Stories For You
Throughout the day there was an array of on-course challenges, including longest drive, the Flop Wall Competition, Baseball Bat Longest Drive and the Million Dollar Hole-in-One competition.
When the tourney ended, the team from Line Skis (Derek Pappas, Ryan McBride, David Oliver and Cam Brown) took first place with a combined 26 under par.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Prep roundup: Senior breaks all-time digs record, football looks to get past tough week, boys soccer wraps up
- Mountain Wheels: Lexus’ brave GS-F demonstrates power on a big platform (review)
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- KneeHab: Sex for knee patients? It’s a thing, and other post-op thoughts
- KneeHab: 7 yoga poses for ACL rehab and recovery
- Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush,’ ‘mining for ratings,’ faces lawsuit from Park County neighbors
- The fate of skiing: Winter Park Resort bucks trends as industry concerns grow over lack of skiing millennials
- ‘Opt-out’ votes look like slam dunks in Silverthorne, Dillon
- Park County residents rescue dog from 25-foot mine shaft in Fairplay (video)
- New 6-person chairlift installed at Keystone Resort (photo slideshow)