Jibbin’ in the streets of Breckenridge: New snowboard event tonight under the lights
December 14, 2012
With the San Francisco Bay Bridge as a backdrop, skateboarders in the October Dew Tour city stop took to an urban jib and grind environment that spanned three city blocks.
It was a first for the tour, and it was so well received by athletes and spectators, the powers that be decided to duplicate the competition.
Tonight, with the mountains and quaint town of Breckenridge as the backdrop, athletes will compete for the best run in streetstyle, an urban-inspired course with authentic street features.
“We wanted to do something downtown and connect the town to the event,” said Chris Prybylo, vice president of events for Alli Sports, adding that because the skateboard event was successful in San Francisco, event executives wanted to do something similar in Breck. The idea was born about a month ago, and with the minds of Breck resort, Keystone Resort and Snow Park Technologies, the urban environment was born.
It all happens at 7:30 p.m. on Washington Street, starting just west of South Ridge Street and ending at Blue River Plaza. Imagine a flatbed truck, wall ride, jersey barrier rail and a Dumpster feature situated among Breckenridge’s Christmas flair for an evening under the lights – all followed by in-town fireworks.
“It’s a really cool design,” Prybylo said. “It’s an authentic, urban environment.”
Recommended Stories For You
Athletes are still unconfirmed, but Prybylo said, “From all the buzz, it seems the athletes are excited” to participate.
Streetstyle pushes the athletes’ creativity and encourages each rider to show off his or her personal style. It’s a new, progressive discipline that had athletes intrigued in San Francisco, with each bringing something unique to the table.
“This [course] is like Tony Hawk the game, it is absolutely crazy,” skateboarder Milton Martinez said immediately after finishing the San Francisco course. “I had a good time skating but it’s not easy, it’s gnarly. I’m stoked. I want to say thank you for building this as this is the gnarliest [course] ever!”
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Prep roundup: Tigers XC posts 18 personal-bests in Rifle
- Team Summit freestyle skier Tori Ware recognized as USSA Rocky Mountain Division Colorado All-Star
- Mountain Wheels: Volkswagen’s Southwest SUV road trip offers glimpse of Atlas (review)
- Take 5: An interview with first chair legend Nate Dogggg
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Colorado gem hunters are back near Alma mine that was once a mother lode of rhodochrosite, the official state mineral
- Vail Resorts to buy The North Face and Columbia stores in Breckenridge
- Rescued Silverthorne hiker recounts how he survived 80 hours lost in Colorado 14er backcountry
- Mountain town news: As Vail Resorts grows, the numbers remain very flat
- Girl who fell from Hotel Colorado fights for life, regained consciousness but in ‘extremely critical’ condition, mom says