Kelley takes GS title at nationals in Winter Park
Ryan Summerlin April 1, 2012
WINTER PARK – Robby Kelley closed out the U.S. championships with a win in the giant slalom as temperatures soared into the mid-60s.
The 21-year-old Kelley finished in a combined time of 2 minutes, 15.03 seconds on Sunday to beat Espen Lysdahl and Leif Kristian Haugen, who are both from Norway. Defending champion Tommy Ford finished a distant 22nd, more than four seconds behind Kelley.
Kelley comes from impressive ski lineage. His mom, Lindy, was a 1976 Olympian while his cousin, Ryan Cochran-Siegle, is the junior world downhill and combined champion. Another cousin, Jimmy Cochran, just announced his retirement from the U.S. ski team.
After seeing No. 1 flash on the scoreboard after his run, Kelley said: “I couldn’t really control my emotions. I started fist pumping, just an awesome feeling.”
Trending In: Sports
- Suicide rate in Summit County reaching record levels
- Best fall hikes for aspen leaves in Summit County (before they’re gone!)
- Letters: Breck Ski Resort COO talks parking improvements, Frisco residents concerned over zoning
- Election 2016: Health care professionals raise concerns about Amendment 69; supporters say it will cure state’s health care ills
- Rocky Mountain Underground opens 1st combo ski shop, bar in Breckenridge