Ligety: It has been an amazing season in GS
March 13, 2013
KRANJSKA GORA, Slovenia – Giant slalom for me this season has been incredible, culminating Saturday when I clinched the season World Cup title with a week left in the season. It’s my fourth World Cup season title in GS, but it was definitely the best season of my career in GS. I won races by huge margins.
The rule changes reducing the legal amount of sidecut on our skis were an advantage for me, and that was a big reason I was so outspoken in criticizing them before they took effect. A rule change that determines winners and losers is a bad rule change. That was a big part of my opposition, in addition to my conviction that the International Ski Federation (FIS) was wrong in its contention that reduced sidecuts would make the sport safer.
Ligety, a two-time world champion in giant slalom and four-time World Cup GS season champion, reports regularly in collaboration with Denver Post ski writer John Meyer. Read more at http://www.denverpost.com/extremes/ci_22768789/ted-ligety-it-has-been-an-amazing-season
Ligety won five of the seven World Cup GS races this season and won the gold medal in GS at the world championships last month.
The World Cup title is his fourth giant slalom overall title after winning in 2008, 2010 and 2011. He also successfully defended his giant slalom title at the world championships in February. Ligety held his first-run lead on Saturday to win in 2 minutes, 35.43 seconds for his 16th career victory, all in GS. He established an insurmountable 125-point lead over Austria’s Marcel Hirscher, who was 0.45 behind in second.
Ligety has finished on the podium in all seven giant slalom races this season and became the first man to achieve that feat since Michael von Gruenigen, of Switzerland, in 1995-96. His record on the World Cup this season in GS:
Soelden, Austria Oct. 28: First
Beaver Creek Dec. 2: First
Val d’Isere, France Dec. 9: Third
Alta Badia, Italy Dec. 16: First
Adelboden, Switzerland Jan. 12: First
Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany Feb. 24: Third
Kranjska Gora, Slovenia March 9: First
Trending In: Sports
- Back pain? Be gone with 7 yoga poses from physical therapists
- ‘Writing the book’: On a ski bike at Keystone with Devin Lenz of Lenz Sports
- Mountain Wheels: Best-selling Toyota Camry goes long and lean for its latest generation (column)
- Moguls, slalom and big-mountain results from Team Summit and Loveland Ski Club
- WinterBike is back at Copper with moonlight fat biking and Strider races, all on snow
- In Breckenridge, a possible parking garage and roundabout on the horizon
- Breckenridge police issued shelter in place warning due to barricarded individual
- Smell of weed in Denver leads feds to bust of Nebraska marijuana network
- Summit County churches rally behind pastor for new cancer treatment center
- Hickenlooper appointee files 64 disability access cases