New season for Summit High volleyball
Ryan Summerlin September 20, 2013
The Summit High School volleyball team is looking to come out on top this year, after experiencing a lot of ups and downs last season.
The team improved from its slow 4-11 start to finish 11-11, ranking 39th after jumping from 45th and 43rd. The increase was not quite enough to take the team on to regional play. They finished the season strong, however, with seven match wins, including their own Tiger Invitational.
“The winning stretch at the end of the season was so exciting,” coach Liz Hughes-Waddick told the Summit Daily at the end of the 2012 season. “I’m so very proud of those girls for reaching their potential as a team by the end of the season. They have a lot to be proud of.”
This year features a mix of experienced seniors and new talent moving up from junior varsity. Kaitlin Raymond, Madison Webster, Davis Gidney and Kyla McCann are all returning seniors. Sophomores Lexi Zangari and Madi Anderson are also returning. Senior Shima Al-Nuzele, junior Elle Dice and sophomore Emily Wallace have moved to the varsity team from JV.
The season opener is a home game this year and will take place Thursday, Sept. 5 against Conifer. The varsity game starts at 6:30 p.m.
Janice Kurbjun contributed to the reporting of this article.
Trending In: Sports
- Best fall hikes for aspen leaves in Summit County (before they’re gone!)
- Big Fat Tire: A mountain bike wish list for Summit County
- Copper hosts free premiere of new Travis Rice film ‘The Fourth Phase’ on Oct. 2
- Take 5: Chile’s Atacama Crossing with vegan ultrarunner Ben Dame
- High Gear: Cooper Discoverer M+S tire review
- Housing Divided, Part 2: Summit’s most vital workers live elsewhere
- Breckenridge town council rebuts claim it reneged on parking garage promise
- Truck stolen from Wildernest winds up on Baldy Road in Breckenridge
- Kelly Samuels: 1969 – 2016
- Amaya’s ex-wife says they tried exorcism of him two years before double homicide