New season for Summit High volleyball
September 20, 2013
The Summit High School volleyball team is looking to come out on top this year, after experiencing a lot of ups and downs last season.
The team improved from its slow 4-11 start to finish 11-11, ranking 39th after jumping from 45th and 43rd. The increase was not quite enough to take the team on to regional play. They finished the season strong, however, with seven match wins, including their own Tiger Invitational.
"The winning stretch at the end of the season was so exciting," coach Liz Hughes-Waddick told the Summit Daily at the end of the 2012 season. "I'm so very proud of those girls for reaching their potential as a team by the end of the season. They have a lot to be proud of."
This year features a mix of experienced seniors and new talent moving up from junior varsity. Kaitlin Raymond, Madison Webster, Davis Gidney and Kyla McCann are all returning seniors. Sophomores Lexi Zangari and Madi Anderson are also returning. Senior Shima Al-Nuzele, junior Elle Dice and sophomore Emily Wallace have moved to the varsity team from JV.
The season opener is a home game this year and will take place Thursday, Sept. 5 against Conifer. The varsity game starts at 6:30 p.m.
Janice Kurbjun contributed to the reporting of this article.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- First family of whitewater: Into roaring Browns Canyon with the Foleys of Performance Tours Rafting (video)
- Mountain Wheels: Second-generation Subaru Crosstrek aims at outdoorspeople (column)
- Colorado 14er for sale: Buy Culebra Peak in the Sangre de Cristo Range for $105 million
- Biff America: Six commandments we can all agree on (column)
- Colorado couple’s connection to Courage Classic runs deep