ON THIS DAY: W. Germany beats France in ’82
July 17, 2014
On July 8 in World Cup history: In classic semifinal that sees first penalty shootout, West Germany beats France in Seville, Spain, in 1982. Late penalty helps West Germany grind out victory against Argentina to win 1990 World Cup in Rome.
The 1982 semifinal is one of the greatest World Cup games. A French team marshalled by Michel Platini was emerging as a potential winner. West Germany, by contrast, had barely got into its stride and when France led 3-1 halfway through the first period of extra time, the match looked over. But goals from Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and Klaus Fischer meant a World Cup match would be decided by a penalty shootout for the first time. The match will also be remembered for a horrendous collision between West Germany goalkeeper Harald Schumacher and Patrick Battiston that left the Frenchman unconscious for a while and with numerous injuries. No foul or caution was given.
Just months after the Berlin Wall came crashing down, West Germany won its third World Cup in 1990, avenging the loss to Argentina in the '86 final. As a result, Franz Beckenbauer became the first person to win the World Cup as captain and coach. Despite the presence of Diego Maradona, this Argentina side was very different from the one that triumphed in Mexico. From the get-go, Argentina struggled, losing to Cameroon in the opening game. West Germany deservedly won a dour final with an 85th-minute penalty from Andreas Brehme. The game was memorable for the fact that Argentina's Pedro Monzon became the first player to be sent off in a final. His teammate Gustavo Dezotti became the second.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Prep roundup: Senior breaks all-time digs record, football looks to get past tough week, boys soccer wraps up
- Mountain Wheels: Lexus’ brave GS-F demonstrates power on a big platform (review)
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- KneeHab: Sex for knee patients? It’s a thing, and other post-op thoughts
- KneeHab: 7 yoga poses for ACL rehab and recovery
- Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush,’ ‘mining for ratings,’ faces lawsuit from Park County neighbors
- The fate of skiing: Winter Park Resort bucks trends as industry concerns grow over lack of skiing millennials
- ‘Opt-out’ votes look like slam dunks in Silverthorne, Dillon
- Park County residents rescue dog from 25-foot mine shaft in Fairplay (video)
- New 6-person chairlift installed at Keystone Resort (photo slideshow)