Quiznos Pro Challenge receives $10m investment
February 26, 2011
Quiznos Pro Challenge co-chairman Rick Schaden announced Friday the investment of an initial $10 million to support the growth of Colorado’s international pro-cycling competition, taking place August 22-28.
“This investment further demonstrates our commitment to the future of the Quiznos Pro Challenge,” Schaden said. “Showing financial stability demonstrates the event’s ability for longevity in the international sports arena for many years to come.”
Schaden is the founder and chairman of Consumer Capital Partners, a private investment, concept/brand development and strategic advisory firm based in Denver. He is also the founder and majority shareholder of Quiznos and other recognized consumer businesses. He is credited for taking the vision of professional cycling legend Lance Armstrong and former Gov. Bill Ritter and creating a world-class professional cycling event here in the U.S. that is similar in structure to the Tour de France.
The Quiznos Pro Challenge is expected to be the most demanding terrain ever seen in professional cycling. Five of the world’s top international teams have signed on for the event, including Team RadioShack (USA), Liquigas-Cannondale (Italy), HTC-Highroad (USA), Slipstream Sports/Garmin-Cervelo (USA), and BMC Racing Team (USA).
In total, the Quiznos Pro Challenge will host as many as 128 professional cyclists from 16 teams for the 2011 competition.
The Saturday stage of the race is slated to cut through Summit County, on a route starting in Steamboat Springs and finishing in Breckenridge.
These teams are comprised of many of the top cyclists in the world, including world road champions Cadel Evans and Thor Hushovd, as well as legendary team directors Johan Bruyneel and Bob Stapleton. The riders from these teams who will participate in the Quiznos Pro Challenge will be defined once the team rosters are finalized for the 2011 season.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Skateboarders descend on Breckenridge for Battle on the Blue
- Pro snowboarder Torstein Horgmo’s video log takes you to Copper Mountain’s public park
- Your guide to Summit County’s best OHV and Jeep trails
- Dear Drewbie: Enter a ‘Youathlon’ for mental health with events you love and just one winner — you!
- Local Hiking Trails Summit: The magnificent amphitheater of Mayflower Gulch
- Colorado 14er for sale: Buy Culebra Peak in the Sangre de Cristo Range for $105 million
- Eagle man allegedly tried to beat to death female bartender at closing time
- Summit County visitor captures possible mountain lion screams on video in Keystone
- First family of whitewater: Into roaring Browns Canyon with the Foleys of Performance Tours Rafting (video)
- After 30-foot tumble off Mount Royal, 73-year-old woman able to shake it off