Quiznos Pro Challenge receives $10m investment
February 26, 2011
Quiznos Pro Challenge co-chairman Rick Schaden announced Friday the investment of an initial $10 million to support the growth of Colorado’s international pro-cycling competition, taking place August 22-28.
“This investment further demonstrates our commitment to the future of the Quiznos Pro Challenge,” Schaden said. “Showing financial stability demonstrates the event’s ability for longevity in the international sports arena for many years to come.”
Schaden is the founder and chairman of Consumer Capital Partners, a private investment, concept/brand development and strategic advisory firm based in Denver. He is also the founder and majority shareholder of Quiznos and other recognized consumer businesses. He is credited for taking the vision of professional cycling legend Lance Armstrong and former Gov. Bill Ritter and creating a world-class professional cycling event here in the U.S. that is similar in structure to the Tour de France.
The Quiznos Pro Challenge is expected to be the most demanding terrain ever seen in professional cycling. Five of the world’s top international teams have signed on for the event, including Team RadioShack (USA), Liquigas-Cannondale (Italy), HTC-Highroad (USA), Slipstream Sports/Garmin-Cervelo (USA), and BMC Racing Team (USA).
In total, the Quiznos Pro Challenge will host as many as 128 professional cyclists from 16 teams for the 2011 competition.
The Saturday stage of the race is slated to cut through Summit County, on a route starting in Steamboat Springs and finishing in Breckenridge.
Recommended Stories For You
These teams are comprised of many of the top cyclists in the world, including world road champions Cadel Evans and Thor Hushovd, as well as legendary team directors Johan Bruyneel and Bob Stapleton. The riders from these teams who will participate in the Quiznos Pro Challenge will be defined once the team rosters are finalized for the 2011 season.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Prep roundup: Tigers XC posts 18 personal-bests in Rifle
- Mountain Wheels: Volkswagen’s Southwest SUV road trip offers glimpse of Atlas (review)
- Team Summit freestyle skier Tori Ware recognized as USSA Rocky Mountain Division Colorado All-Star
- Take 5: An interview with first chair legend Nate Dogggg
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Colorado gem hunters are back near Alma mine that was once a mother lode of rhodochrosite, the official state mineral
- Rescued Silverthorne hiker recounts how he survived 80 hours lost in Colorado 14er backcountry
- Mountain town news: As Vail Resorts grows, the numbers remain very flat
- Girl who fell from Hotel Colorado fights for life, regained consciousness but in ‘extremely critical’ condition, mom says
- Vail Resorts executive leaves for new role at Steamboat Ski Area