Raven Golf Club in Silverthorne, River Course in Keystone to open this week
May 14, 2014
Officials with Keystone Resort announced Wednesday they plan to open the front nine holes of The River Course on Friday, May 16. Initially, golf course grounds crews had hoped to have the full 18-hole course ready for opening day, but snow over the weekend caused delays on work on the back nine.
"It's just one of those things that happens," course pro Philip Tobias said Wednesday. "We just want to make sure we have the best possible course conditions for our guests."
Tobias told the Daily he expects the back nine to be ready to play sometime next week — as early as Monday or by the following Friday, May 23, at the latest.
"Whatever Mother Nature is going to allow us to do, we'll get open as soon as we can," he said.
As for the front nine, Keystone's director of golf and recreation Steve Corneillier said the holes are "in great shape coming out of the winter season, and we look forward to getting the golf season underway."
Weather over the weekend also delayed the course opening at The Raven Golf Club in Silverthorne. The club had originally scheduled to open the front nine last Friday, May 9, but had to close over the weekend due to snowfall.
Recommended Stories For You
Course director of golf Mark Nickel said he could have opened the front nine Wednesday but decided to hold off. He expects the front nine to be open Thursday, followed by the full 18 this Friday, May 16, as originally scheduled.
"We should be good tomorrow," Nickel said Wednesday afternoon, adding that Friday "looks good" for the full 18.
Even with the weather the course preparations were on schedule.
"It slows you down a bit, but it's not affecting the golf course," he said. "Normally the middle of May is a good time for us to be ready to go. We're not that far off of our average."
The Keystone Ranch Course is still on track to open Friday, May 30. The Breckenridge Golf Club tentatively expects to open its driving range Friday, May 16, with the full 27-hole course to follow on May 23.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Summit Black dominates Tigers’ girls rugby tourney
- Best fall hikes for aspen leaves in Summit County (before they’re gone!)
- Prep roundup: Summit senior earns ‘well-deserved’ trip to state golf tournament
- Mountain Wheels: Acura’s sporty TLX seeks a high-altitude boost (review)
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Man who fatally crashed into Lake Dillon was driving 60 mph, possibly intoxicated, report says
- Mountain Town News: How to keep Yellowstone’s supervolcano from blasting
- Eastbound lanes of Interstate 70 near Vail will close Friday morning to remove crashed semi
- High Country Crime: Man arrested after report of masturbation in Miller Ranch Open Space in Edwards, sheriff’s office says
- Top 6 drives to see fall foliage near Breckenridge, Colorado (video)