Raven Golf Club in Silverthorne, River Course in Keystone to open this week
May 14, 2014
Officials with Keystone Resort announced Wednesday they plan to open the front nine holes of The River Course on Friday, May 16. Initially, golf course grounds crews had hoped to have the full 18-hole course ready for opening day, but snow over the weekend caused delays on work on the back nine.
"It's just one of those things that happens," course pro Philip Tobias said Wednesday. "We just want to make sure we have the best possible course conditions for our guests."
Tobias told the Daily he expects the back nine to be ready to play sometime next week — as early as Monday or by the following Friday, May 23, at the latest.
"Whatever Mother Nature is going to allow us to do, we'll get open as soon as we can," he said.
As for the front nine, Keystone's director of golf and recreation Steve Corneillier said the holes are "in great shape coming out of the winter season, and we look forward to getting the golf season underway."
Weather over the weekend also delayed the course opening at The Raven Golf Club in Silverthorne. The club had originally scheduled to open the front nine last Friday, May 9, but had to close over the weekend due to snowfall.
Course director of golf Mark Nickel said he could have opened the front nine Wednesday but decided to hold off. He expects the front nine to be open Thursday, followed by the full 18 this Friday, May 16, as originally scheduled.
"We should be good tomorrow," Nickel said Wednesday afternoon, adding that Friday "looks good" for the full 18.
Even with the weather the course preparations were on schedule.
"It slows you down a bit, but it's not affecting the golf course," he said. "Normally the middle of May is a good time for us to be ready to go. We're not that far off of our average."
The Keystone Ranch Course is still on track to open Friday, May 30. The Breckenridge Golf Club tentatively expects to open its driving range Friday, May 16, with the full 27-hole course to follow on May 23.
Trending In: Sports
- Summit locals top podiums at Copper WinterBike, USATF Indoor Track National Champs
- Back pain? Be gone with 7 yoga poses from physical therapists
- MCL tears are a common ski injury
- In the Field: From backpacking Summit County to Cuba’s Bay of Pigs, we learn to embrace the unknown
- 2016-17 uphill access rules for Breck, A-Basin, Copper and Keystone
- Summit County police blotter: Cop stumbles on freshly-powdered nose
- Lake Tahoe weather: 3+ feet of snow blankets region; power outages begin
- Fremont Recpath receives $4 million in federal funds for construction
- ‘Unstable’ man attacks Aspen police with razor blades
- Take 5: Life of a Copper Mountain avalanche rescue dog