Raven readies for inaugural Bluegrass and Greens event
May 18, 2012
Eighteen holes, slow-cooked barbeque, pickin’ music and a bunch of those inflatable bouncy things – it’s hard to imagine a better way to kick off the summer.
The Raven at Three Peaks Golf Course is hosting its inaugural Bluegrass and Greens golf tournament on Memorial Day (May 28). It’s going to be a family-friendly simple scramble (everyone hits, take the best shot) with a slue of games and prizes.
“We decided we want to benefit different youth programs throughout the county,” said director of golf Mark Nickel. “Based on input (from Summit Daily readers), we selected four programs: Summit County Youth Organization, Summit County Baseball and Softball, Summit County 4H and Open Arms Preschool and Child Care.”
The four organizations will be involved in the tournament, which will feature a variety of games that are atypical of traditional round of golf. Each benefiting organization will be responsible for a fundraising effort – a game of some kind – on each of the four par 3s.
There’s also a plan in the works for a very lucrative hole-in-one prize on one of the par 3s.
Meanwhile, the driving range will be transformed into a kids’ zone with golf clinics, face-painting and bouncy things.
“We really wanted to make it a family day for Memorial Day. There’s a barbeque theme – get the whole family out here; get all the kids. While the parents are out playing in the golf tournament.
Registration is getting tight with more than 25 teams of four already signed up. The first-, second- and third-place teams will win a prize, likely monetary in nature.
The tournament kicks off with a shotgun start at 10 a.m. Players can sign up individually for $80 or as a foursome for $300 ($75 each). Sponsorships are still available and, of course, contributions to the organizations are welcome.
“All these organizations are worthwhile and needy for whatever they can get. It’s a fun way to get donations into these organizations because they really rely on it,” Nickel said.
News from across the Web
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Big Mountain Enduro at Keystone draws riders from across U.S.
- X Games medalist Matt Ladley takes on ‘Amazing Race’
- Summit Extreme Black Diamonds go 0-6 in week 3
- Gallery: Sirens of Lake Dillon at the 10th Timberline Cruiser Regatta (photos)
- Gallery: Tail-tap the sky at the Frisco Bike Park summer jump jam (photos)
- Goar: Vail Resorts leading the charge to address housing crisis (column)
- Blue River group recasts hopes of golden fishing designation
- Colorado’s multiplying moose moving eastward, running into people
- High Country Crime: ‘No evidence’ as judge drops pot charge against Eagle county surveyor
- Silverthorne celebrates opening of $9M performing arts center