Rockies looking for reliable No. 5 pitcher
July 24, 2013
The fifth spot in the Rockies' rotation has become a black hole, sucking up any real chance of victory. Drew Pomeranz and Roy Oswalt are a combined 0-8 with a 7.86 ERA from the No. 5 slot this season.
What the Rockies will do about it remains a large question mark. Pomeranz is penciled in as the starter Saturday against the Brewers, but there are no guarantees he'll take the hill.
So what are the options?
Bill Geivett, vice president of major-league operations, said Tuesday that Rockies scouts are scouring the majors for help, and he confirmed they have looked at Chicago White Sox right-hander Jake Peavy. But Geivett also made it clear the Rockies are not willing to dismantle the roster to get a pitcher.
"That's what makes it difficult, trying to find somebody who is available, but at the same time doesn't take away from (our) existing club at the major leagues," he said.
Read more: Rockies' search continues for reliable No. 5 starting pitcher – The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_23718929/rockies-search-continues-reliable-no-5-starting-pitcher#ixzz2a0ho5sCD
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Your guide to Summit County’s best OHV and Jeep trails
- Colorado Escapist: A Summit County summer survival guide for kids and parents
- Skateboarders descend on Breckenridge for Battle on the Blue
- Breckenridge Bike Guide: X10U8 trail (video)
- Local Hiking Trails Summit: The magnificent amphitheater of Mayflower Gulch
- Amped up: Dillon begins work on $8.4M upgrade to town’s premiere performance venue
- Wolverine returning to Colorado? Federal bureaucracy stands in the way
- Colorado’s fourth 14er death of 2017 renews drive to educate hikers of risks
- Mountain Wheels: Second-generation Subaru Crosstrek aims at outdoorspeople (column)
- First family of whitewater: Into roaring Browns Canyon with the Foleys of Performance Tours Rafting (video)