Rockies looking for reliable No. 5 pitcher
July 24, 2013
The fifth spot in the Rockies' rotation has become a black hole, sucking up any real chance of victory. Drew Pomeranz and Roy Oswalt are a combined 0-8 with a 7.86 ERA from the No. 5 slot this season.
What the Rockies will do about it remains a large question mark. Pomeranz is penciled in as the starter Saturday against the Brewers, but there are no guarantees he'll take the hill.
So what are the options?
Bill Geivett, vice president of major-league operations, said Tuesday that Rockies scouts are scouring the majors for help, and he confirmed they have looked at Chicago White Sox right-hander Jake Peavy. But Geivett also made it clear the Rockies are not willing to dismantle the roster to get a pitcher.
"That's what makes it difficult, trying to find somebody who is available, but at the same time doesn't take away from (our) existing club at the major leagues," he said.
Read more: Rockies' search continues for reliable No. 5 starting pitcher – The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_23718929/rockies-search-continues-reliable-no-5-starting-pitcher#ixzz2a0ho5sCD
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Storm set to break Summit County’s dry spell with as many as 7 inches predicted Thursday
- Breckenridge businesses facing discipline over December drug bust
- Breckenridge Police Department a leader on diversity and inclusion
- Summit County real estate roundup: High-end real estate sales see spike in January
- Summit County daycare teachers to get free health care access