Shaun White slides into X Games slopestyle finals
January 24, 2013
ASPEN – With only one finals event Thursday at Buttermilk Mountain, the opening day for the Winter X Games featured plenty of qualifying runs down the superpipe and the slopestyle course for the men.
Shaun White squeezed into the slopestyle finals, advancing for the first time since 2009 when he won gold. White qualified seventh Thursday after two runs in the elimination round.
The top eight scores advanced out of the 16-man qualifying round, and White’s score came on his first run as he fell on his second run trying to improve his standing.
White was fourth after the first-round run, which had a few hiccups, and scored just 67.33 points. By the time he started his second run, his first-run score had dropped to seventh, but that was still enough to get to the finals. He fell on the second jump in his second run and had to settle for seventh.
Trending In: Sports
- Young again: Scenes from the 2017 Summit Count 50+ Winter Games
- In the Field: From backpacking Summit County to Cuba’s Bay of Pigs, we learn to embrace the unknown
- Back pain? Be gone with 7 yoga poses from physical therapists
- Summit locals top podiums at Copper WinterBike, USATF Indoor Track National Champs
- Mountain Wheels: Best-selling Toyota Camry goes long and lean for its latest generation (column)
- Healthy economy, cheap gas prices mean more trips to Summit — and more traffic fatalities
- Summit County bars and restaurants taking up the fight against sexual assault
- Vail Resorts to buy Stowe Mountain Resort in Vermont
- Snowboarder seriously injured at Buttermilk in Aspen
- Summit County assessor triumphs in bulk of initial property-tax appeals