Shaun White slides into X Games slopestyle finals
January 24, 2013
ASPEN – With only one finals event Thursday at Buttermilk Mountain, the opening day for the Winter X Games featured plenty of qualifying runs down the superpipe and the slopestyle course for the men.
Shaun White squeezed into the slopestyle finals, advancing for the first time since 2009 when he won gold. White qualified seventh Thursday after two runs in the elimination round.
The top eight scores advanced out of the 16-man qualifying round, and White’s score came on his first run as he fell on his second run trying to improve his standing.
White was fourth after the first-round run, which had a few hiccups, and scored just 67.33 points. By the time he started his second run, his first-run score had dropped to seventh, but that was still enough to get to the finals. He fell on the second jump in his second run and had to settle for seventh.
News from across the Web
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Colorado kayakers, rafters won’t get high flows on the mellow Blue River this Memorial Day weekend
- Summit ‘Rugby’ County, USA: Home to the Blue Goose, Renegades and Summit Tigers rugby clubs
- Mountain Wheels: Audi’s high-energy SQ5 SUV aims at performance-minded drivers (review)
- End of an era: Arapahoe Basin volunteer ski patrol program finished after at least 4 decades
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?