SHS girls rugby: Slow start against Northside, win 48-0
October 8, 2013
After a tight first half, the Tiger girls rugby team came on strong in the second to take down the Northside Dragons rugby club Saturday morning 48-0. With the win, the Tigers remain undefeated in league play.
Northside stayed competitive early, holding the Tigers scoreless until the final minute of the first half. Bailey Thompson scored the game's first points in the final seconds of the half, putting the Tigers up 5-0.
"They did a good job of slowing us down in the first half," Summit head coach Karl Barth said at halftime. "We made a lot of mistakes."
He credited the cold and snow as one of the reasons the girls struggled to keep possession early on.
"I'm glad I wasn't playing," he said after the game.
After adjusting their game plan, Summit came out strong in the second half, scoring in the opening minutes. Team captain and All-American senior Lily Weldon led the way with the first score in the half.
It was all Summit from there as they started to pour it on. With 30 minutes still left in the game, freshman Jodi Losch punched in another score putting the Tigers up 17-0.
Summit continued the offensive with additional scores by both Weldon and Thompson.
The two biggest plays on the day came from Summit's Rita Foth as she managed to break away for both a 40- and 60-yard scoring run. She scored the game's final try which was followed by a successful conversion kick by Morgan Courtney.
"They did a good job and made some good adjustments," Barth said of the team's second half turnaround.
The Tiger girls will play a makeup game against league opponent Chaparral Monday night at Tiger Stadium before heading to Fort Collins for a game on Saturday. The Monday night game will be their final home game of the season.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Skateboarders descend on Breckenridge for Battle on the Blue
- Pro snowboarder Torstein Horgmo’s video log takes you to Copper Mountain’s public park
- Your guide to Summit County’s best OHV and Jeep trails
- Local Hiking Trails Summit: The magnificent amphitheater of Mayflower Gulch
- Breckenridge Hiking Trails: Mohawk Lake
- Colorado 14er for sale: Buy Culebra Peak in the Sangre de Cristo Range for $105 million
- First family of whitewater: Into roaring Browns Canyon with the Foleys of Performance Tours Rafting (video)
- Eagle man allegedly tried to beat to death female bartender at closing time
- Biff America: Six commandments we can all agree on (column)
- Mountain Wheels: Second-generation Subaru Crosstrek aims at outdoorspeople (column)