Silverthorne Storm gymnastics hosts meet
June 26, 2013
The Silverthorne Storm Gymnastics Team hosted over 300 competitors from around the state in a meet at the Silverthorne Recreation Center over the weekend. The Storm girls had another strong showing, with numerous podium appearances, including 16 first place finishes. A number of competitors also qualified for additional spots at regionals.
The optional team competed on Friday. Mia Ammon, 12, had a solid meet, scoring high enough in all-around to move up to the optional three level. She won vault and bars in her age group and was top three on all the other events. Morgan Payne, 14, won vault, scoring an 8.45. Paige Schlegel, 12, hit the qualifying score on floor for the first time this year. Laurel Bonner, 14, had a solid beam routine, placing third and earning her first qualifying score on that event.
Saturday morning saw the compulsory four team storm into the building for a very strong showing. Nina Schamberger, 7, completed her routines well all day and came out with the a team high all-around score of 33.5. She placed first in four out of five events. Maddie Nations, 9, won all-around and beam in her age group. Phoenix Cyphert, Lindsey Nolz and India Barson all earned their first regional all-around qualifying scores. Natalie Leyva, 12, placed in every event, taking second on bars and beam.
The compulsory five team showed continued improvement and contributed a number of trips to the podium as well. Sami Cason, 12, had a strong meet, placing fist in all-around and bars, while getting second in all other events. She successfully accomplished her first kip in warm-ups, then was able to repeat during the meet. Brielle Quigley, 9, also had a strong showing, taking first on vault and floor and placing second in all-around. Sydney Vargo, 12, hit a solid vault to finish first in that event. Cassidy Citron, 10, Sara Sones, 14, and Kaydence Murphy, 10, all placed in every event. Kaydence again hit a strong floor routine. She scored a 9.3 and finished first in the event. Charlotte Gunther, 10, hit the regional qualifying mark on floor and vault.
The Storm's next meet is this weekend in Commerce City.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Skateboarders descend on Breckenridge for Battle on the Blue
- Pro snowboarder Torstein Horgmo’s video log takes you to Copper Mountain’s public park
- Your guide to Summit County’s best OHV and Jeep trails
- Local Hiking Trails Summit: The magnificent amphitheater of Mayflower Gulch
- Dear Drewbie: Enter a ‘Youathlon’ for mental health with events you love and just one winner — you!
- Colorado 14er for sale: Buy Culebra Peak in the Sangre de Cristo Range for $105 million
- Eagle man allegedly tried to beat to death female bartender at closing time
- Summit County visitor captures possible mountain lion screams on video in Keystone
- First family of whitewater: Into roaring Browns Canyon with the Foleys of Performance Tours Rafting (video)
- After 30-foot tumble off Mount Royal, 73-year-old woman able to shake it off