Snow skills unite for Saturday’s winter triathlon in Leadville
January 18, 2014
If you go…
What: The Arrowhead Alpine Club Winter Triathlon.
When: Saturday, Jan. 18 at 10 a.m.
Where: Colorado Mountain College Timberline Campus, Leadville.
Cost: Pre-registration is $35 for individuals, or $30 per person for teams. Race-day registration is $45 for individuals, or $30 per person for teams. Participants can pre-register directly online at http://www.pedalpowerbike.com, and in-person at Pedal Power Bicycle Shop in Eagle-Vail or by calling 970-845-0931.
More information: Visit http://www.pedalpowerbike.com, or call 970-845-0931.
VAIL — On Saturday, many of the top athletes in the region, seeking to test their mettle and push the boundaries of endurance — even to the point exhaustion — will be gathering in Leadville for the Arrowhead Alpine Club Winter Triathlon. This race takes place at the Leadville’s Colorado Mountain College Timberline Campus, starting at 10 a.m., and will consist of a 5K snowshoe, 10K snow bike and an 8K skate ski. This event will be open to both individual competitors and teams.
This is the fifth event of the 2013/2014 Pedal Power Winter Race Series. The nonprofit series, now in its 18th season, is the oldest continuous snowshoe race series in the state and one of the oldest in the nation, boasting participation by some of the region’s top endurance athletes. All proceeds from the completely nonprofit series will benefit local Eagle and Lake County charities.
With a reputation for creating courses that present tactical as well as physical challenges, this multi-discipline winter endurance event is ideal for athletes seeking ever-greater tests of their abilities. The snowshoe leg of the event takes place on off-piste, single track, with the bike and ski portions playing out on groomed Nordic track.
As part of the race, there will be a Winter Tri “Team Challenge,” specifically designed to encourage and recognize team efforts within the discipline. The Team Challenge winners will be eligible for special prizes based upon the combined times of each team’s participants.
Racers should meet at the CMC Timberline Campus, just south of town, one hour before the start to leave time to register and coordinate equipment. Call Pedal Power in advance at (970) 845-0931 for directions.
The next event in the Winter Race Series will be the Eagle-Vail Metro District Snow Mountain Bike Race. That race will take place on Saturday at 10 a.m., with racer registration at the Eagle-Vail Pavilion.
Trending In: Sports
- Young again: Scenes from the 2017 Summit Count 50+ Winter Games
- Mountain Wheels: Best-selling Toyota Camry goes long and lean for its latest generation (column)
- ‘Writing the book’: On a ski bike at Keystone with Devin Lenz of Lenz Sports
- Back pain? Be gone with 7 yoga poses from physical therapists
- Moguls, slalom and big-mountain results from Team Summit and Loveland Ski Club
- Breckenridge police issued shelter in place warning due to barricarded individual
- Healthy economy, cheap gas prices mean more trips to Summit — and more traffic fatalities
- After devastating injuries, Chris Hawks returns to the slopes as a coach
- Smell of weed in Denver leads feds to bust of Nebraska marijuana network
- Open Mic: How do you feel about paid parking in Breckenridge? (video)