S’thorne Storm gymnastics opens with first meet
June 3, 2013
The Silverthorne Storm gymnastics team competed in their first meet of the season on May 18 in Fredrick. There were a number of solid performances, a few surprise "first time I ever hit that move" moments, and a few stuck routines. The team hopes to continue to polish up and improve throughout the summer. Each team member qualified for the regional meet in at least one event while 23 made it in All Around (AA). The team also sent everyone to the podium at least once and multiple competitors made it up there on all five events.
The optional team saw Mia Ammon and Jenessa Bjork score the highest AA scores for the Storm. Bjork showed much power in placing first on vault bars and AA, while Ammon was clean all day, winning vault and floor and placing second in AA in her age group. Both will likely mandate up to the optional 3 level this season, said head coach Ben Way. Abby Hiller won floor in her age group of optional 1's and Delani Bargell took first on bars in hers.
In the comp. 5 level, Kaydence Murphy rose above the rest scoring a 31.5 in AA. She placed first on beam, floor and AA with solid and very clean routines throughout the meet. Annette Akers also won AA in her age group, winning bars and beam as well. Haley Davis and Sydney Vargo tied for first place on vault in their age group. After three years of competition, Kaci Sister had her first trips to the top of the podium, vault and floor, showing good power and control at the same time.
The comp 4 team had many podium trips but no AA champs. Nina Schamberger, age 7, scored a 9.0 on floor (first place) with a very clean and well-executed routine. She was second on everything else except vault. She will shine this year if she can keep her focus, said coach Way. Jazlyn Smith had the top AA score for the 4's while winning vault for her age group. Olyvia Snyder hit her first front hip circle during the competition, she also won vault.
The Stom's next meet will be June 8 in Frasier.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Dear Drewbie: Enter a ‘Youathlon’ for mental health with events you love and just one winner — you!
- Your guide to Summit County’s best OHV and Jeep trails
- Breckenridge Hiking Trails: Mohawk Lake
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Local Hiking Trails Summit: The magnificent amphitheater of Mayflower Gulch
- After years of hiding, Summit County sheriff’s deputy proudly comes out as transgender
- The people of Summit County have spoken: They want a Chick-fil-A
- Summit County visitor captures possible mountain lion screams on video in Keystone
- Eagle man allegedly tried to beat to death female bartender at closing time
- Summit County police blotter: Tequila-fueled Tinder date ends in robbery