Summit County fishing report
January 3, 2012
Editor’s note: Dave Coulson is the Colorado state editor for FishExplorer.com. He contributes a weekly fishing report to the Summit Daily News. For more local and regional fishing information, visit http://www.fishexplorer.com.
Now is a great time to be ice fishing for lake trout. The major area reservoirs such as Grand, Granby, Williams Fork, and Green Mountain all have good ice caps. All but Grand are reporting good action, although most of the fish are in the 12-20-inch class.
Anglers doing best are locating areas with good structure, such as an underwater ledge, near a steep drop-off, rocky faces, etc. Tube jigs tipped with a strip of sucker meat are the favorite lures. If you have a second rod stamp, consider using jigging spoons, Kastmasters for example, while dead sticking the sucker-tipped jig.
Note due to the high numbers of small lakers at Green Mountain and Granby, anglers are encouraged to keep fish under 20 inches.
If you’re looking for action, consider some of the smaller waters, such as Sylvan, Officer’s Gulch, or Williams Creek. Use lighter tackle, four- or six-pound line and small ice jigs for good results. While reds and pinks continue to get the best reports, don’t hesitate to switch to darker colors as action is a bit slow.
Dillon action has slowed a lot around the inlets. Likely the result of heavy pressure and the kokanee run waning. If the action is slow, move to areas that don’t resemble Swiss cheese.
South Park waters continue to produce some good fish, but all in all, the action has been slower. Of the group, Eleven Mile is producing the best, with most being able to pick up a limit over the course of the day. A few pike are being caught.
Trending In: Sports
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- The Outsider: Is Gaper Day at A-Basin on the decline?
- MCL tears are a common ski injury
- 2016-17 season passes for Copper Mountain and Epic Pass ski resorts now on sale at discounted rates
- As skimo booms, Colorado athletes qualify for World Championships in Italy on Feb. 23
- Probation sentence for seven-time DUI offender highlights prosecutors’ frustration over recent law change
- Dog seriously injured after run-in with skier on Tiehack in Aspen
- Lake Tahoe weather: 3+ feet of snow blankets region; power outages begin
- Trump administration puts recreational marijuana in crosshairs
- Greeley teen identified as victim of train wreck in Eaton