Summit County fishing report
January 24, 2012
Editor’s note: Dave Coulson is the Colorado state editor for FishExplorer.com. He contributes a weekly fishing report to the Summit Daily News. For more local and regional fishing information, visit http://www.fishexplorer.com.
While Old Man Winter may have loosened his icy grip on the Front Range this last week, not so for the High County, which experienced fresh snows and cold weather – good news for those lovers of hard water fishing.
Surprisingly, the lake trout bite continues. Normally, one expects the bite to slow down a bit after the first few weeks, not so at Green Mountain, Granby and Williams Fork. All are seeing good action using tube jigs and spoons, chartreuse and gold colors are favored, and tipping them often seals the deal. Fish waters from 30-80 feet deep near breaks and broken rock, fishing maps help locate prime structure.
Dillon is reporting solid action again, particularly the Snake River inlet area. That may be in part due to the popularity of the area. Other waters to consider for good trout action are Wolford and Willow Creek. While small jigs are most commonly mentioned, anglers should overlook using a couple salmon eggs on gold hooks. “Jigged” gently, they are often deadly.
Tarryall in South Park has picked up once again after being slow for a while. The same can’t be said for Eleven Mile and Antero. Although both are producing, anglers are chasing nice fish, to twenty inches, just not as many.
Finally, if you’re up for a road trip, North Park waters have been fishing very well. Lake John, thanks to heavy stocking last fall continues to produce very fast action, but not much for size. Nearby North Michigan Reservoir has been very good for 10-13 inch rainbows.
News from across the Web
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Work It Out: 8 best yoga poses for recovery and relaxation
- Dirt, wind and pirates in Frisco at Timberline Cruiser Regatta and free Frisco Bike Fling on June 24
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Breckenridge Hiking Trails: Mohawk Lake
- Results from the 2017 Morning Thunder trail race, plus Summit Titans win hoops tourney
- Frisco’s 10 Mile Music Hall will be biggest venue of its kind in the Rockies, owners say
- Breckenridge ambulance provider stripped of transport rights after spat with county government
- Faces of Hope, Part 5: Breckenridge couple learns to live with pain of son’s suicide
- Summit Daily editorial: What happened to Vail Resorts’ $30 million housing pledge?
- A sneak peek at the $9 million Silverthorne Performing Arts Center (video, photos)