Summit County fishing report: 6-27-2012
June 26, 2012
Editor’s note: Dave Coulson is the Colorado state editor for FishExplorer.com. He contributes a weekly fishing report to the Summit Daily News. For more local and regional fishing info, visit http://www.fishexplorer.com.
Releases to the Blue River from Green Mountain Reservoir have resulted in a river that is much more enjoyable to fish. Now is a good time to give it float. Not much dry fly action reported at this time, but evenings should start seeing a few caddis. During the day, a variety of nymphs are working, including small stones.
The Dillon Reservoir tailwater continues to fish well, especially during the week when pressure is far less. Some excellent dry-fly fishing has been reported, primarily with midges. Early mornings or late evening is the best time for this approach. During the weekends, I personally would head west.
Consider passing by the Eagle River, tough as it is fishing well also, and make the trip to the Roaring Fork and Fryingpan rivers where the annual green drake hatch is under way. Let’s face it, what more fun than fishing size 10 dry flies.
If the drakes aren’t on top and the fish uncooperative, consider Ruedi, where the trout action from the shore has been excellent on just about everything thrown at them. Heavy spoons are a good starting point, as you can cover a lot of water quickly and they produce well.
Dillon has been fishing slow for many anglers. Personally,
I would avoid boating as the ANS inspection process is reportedly slow and operating on bankers hours. A canoe, kayak or float tube launched at the inlet areas is a better bet. Concentrate your efforts late and early with a fly and bubble rig will produce a few fish.
Williams Fork is one of the few area waters reporting decent lake trout action. Most fish have been coming on jigs worked from boats in 50-70 feet of water. Electronics are must to locate fish.
News from across the Web
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- End of an era: Arapahoe Basin volunteer ski patrol program finished after at least 4 decades
- Dillon Marina, Frisco Bay Marina open for 2017 boating season on Memorial Day weekend
- Cycling heavyweight Tyler Hamilton (plus free beer!) at Westin Riverfront in Avon June 8
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Summit County Ark Sharks win R4 Nationals rafting comp, now headed to 2018 Worlds
- Faces of Hope, Part 1: Frisco mother still coming to terms with her son’s 2006 suicide
- Summit County police blotter: Woman unfazed by bee swarm inside her car
- Vail Resorts, Summit County strike deal on Keystone workforce housing
- Summit County eyes completion of Lake Hill master plan process
- Snowy Peaks provides nontraditional route across graduation finish line