Summit County Fishing Report: Fall-like conditions persist in nearby fishing hotspots
December 4, 2012
Late fall-like weather has extended open-water fishing on most area reservoirs, rivers and streams. Though we expect open-water fishing on the Blue River below Dillon Reservoir, we don’t expect fall conditions, which we have at this time, on the Eagle and Colorado rivers. Nymphing and streamer fishing are great tactics right now, but anglers should be ready to take advantage of midday/evening hatches of blue-wing olives and midges, especially on cloudy days. Due to the low waters, avoid heavily weighted nymphs (and streamers) at this time.
The inlet areas of Dillon Reservoir have been mostly ice-free and upstream on public sections, anglers are doing fair on browns and an occasional kokanee that have entered the stream. Further downstream at Green Mountain Reservoir, anglers can expect low-water conditions and icing at the inlet area. This is a good time to work large minnow-style lures and spoons around rocky areas of the reservoir. It’s a low-percentage game, but this is one of the best times to catch a large lake trout from the shore. One approaching 10 pounds was caught last week.
Further down the road, Wolford Reservoir remains ice-free and fishing has been hit-or-miss. Most anglers have been fishing off the dam in search of kokanee. The run is winding down, as a result catching is sporadic and many of the fish are in poor shape.
For those looking for some early ice fishing, South Park’s Tarryall Reservoir is mostly capped, with some open water. Ice thickness varies, with reports of 2-7 inches, depending on location. Antero Reservoir is also about three-quarters capped, with most areas reporting less than 4 inches of ice. Though the good reports of catching make ice fishing tempting, use extreme caution at this time as falling through is a distinct possibility.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Team Summit freestyle skier Tori Ware recognized as USSA Rocky Mountain Division Colorado All-Star
- Prep roundup: Tigers XC posts 18 personal-bests in Rifle
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Bill Kresge completes mission to hula-hoop all 56 Coloado 14ers
- Mountain Wheels: Volkswagen’s Southwest SUV road trip offers glimpse of Atlas (review)
- Vail Resorts to buy The North Face and Columbia stores in Breckenridge
- Colorado gem hunters are back near Alma mine that was once a mother lode of rhodochrosite, the official state mineral
- Hate ski boots but love to ski? This Colorado company created a way to allow skiers to wear snowboard boots
- Rescued Silverthorne hiker recounts how he survived 80 hours lost in Colorado 14er backcountry
- Girl who fell from Hotel Colorado fights for life, regained consciousness but in ‘extremely critical’ condition, mom says