Summit County Fishing Report: Rivers, streams and reservoirs still producing
August 15, 2016
Rivers and streams are running clear, low and fishing very well. With the cooling water temperatures, look for fish not in spawn to start moving to deeper runs in preparation for winter. Fishing is typically better in the afternoons and evenings after the waters have had a chance to warm. Streamers, especially woolly buggers, which can be dead drifted are effective under low light conditions. On cloudy afternoons expect to encounter some dry fly action from blue-wing olives and midges. Attractor patterns are also still effective.
Kokanee action remains hit or miss at Wolford Mountain Reservoir. Be aware that the boat ramp is scheduled to close Oct. 13. Trollers have been having good success on small rainbows.
Green Mountain Reservoir is closed to boating for the season. Fair numbers of folks have been trying their hand snagging, but it has been hit or miss so far. A better option is to fish the Blue River, not for kokanee but for rainbows and browns.
Many anglers have been fishing the rivers and streams above Dillon Reservoir for brown trout, which have been moving upstream to spawn. A few nice fish are being caught on streamers and spinners. Please give consideration to releasing them to complete spawn. Rainbows are also being had. The Snake River is reported to be partially iced.
South Park waters have been fishing fairly well as of late. Elevenmile Reservoir has been producing well using pop gear with nightcrawlers. Even though flows are low in the Dream Stream, a few kokanee and browns have been reported. Remember this area is catch and release for all species. Antero Reservoir has been producing well using chironimids and midge patterns. Small streamers imitating damsels have also been producing.
Finally, expect to encounter locked gates and closed areas throughout Forest Service lands due to the federal government shutdown. National forests remain open but certain facilities may be closed. All national parks are closed.
News from across the Web
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- End of an era: Arapahoe Basin volunteer ski patrol program finished after at least 4 decades
- Colorado kayakers, rafters won’t get high flows on the mellow Blue River this Memorial Day weekend
- Dillon Marina, Frisco Bay Marina open for 2017 boating season on Memorial Day weekend
- Summit ‘Rugby’ County, USA: Home to the Blue Goose, Renegades and Summit Tigers rugby clubs
- Cycling heavyweight Tyler Hamilton (plus free beer!) at Westin Riverfront in Avon June 8
- Faces of Hope, Part 1: Frisco mother still coming to terms with her son’s 2006 suicide
- Summit High School honors seven ’17 senior scholars
- Historic Frisco cabin to be disassembled after sagging under years of snow
- Peak School in Frisco awards diplomas to first graduating class
- Frisco Colorado BBQ Challenge music lineup announced