Summit County Fishing Report: Spring runoff has begun
May 10, 2013
Spring runoff has begun with the lower sections of the Eagle, Roaring Fork and Colorado Rivers either discolored or down right muddy. Consequently, many consider them unfishable. Tail waters such as the Blue River below Dillon and Green Mountain reservoirs remain clear and offer decent fishing right now with midge patterns. Upper reaches of the Roaring Fork and Eagle are also fishable. Small stones, eggs, midge larvae and attractor nymphs are all good choices at this time.
For the adventurous angler, give some thought to trying fishing off-colored waters that are clearer than milk chocolate. The trick is to up-size patterns, and fish primarily black colors, though fluorescent colors, reds and oranges also have potential. Concentrate on the slower water, especially near shore.
Fortunately, most reservoirs are open and fishing well. South Park waters remain popular with folks. Recently opened Spinney Reservoir has been fishing well, even though it is low. Watercraft are limited to hand-launched motorless craft. That means no electric motors at this time. A popular and effective approach is a chironomid pattern still fished below a strike indicator. Adjust your leader so that the fly is within a foot or so of the bottom.
Elevenmile is full and has been fishing well for stocker trout; most any method has potential to work. The north ramp recently opened to boating.
Green Mountain Reservoir isn't fully open, though the inlet is fishing very well right now. Most of the fish are rainbows coming out of the shallows. Anglers are having success with worms, spinners and flies (mostly streamers). Further downstream, Wolford is open to boating, though the water is badly stained and fishing has been slow.
Granby Reservoir still contains some ice, which is very unsafe, so keep to the shore. Not a bad option as the rainbows have been hitting well.
News from across the Web
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Gallery: Sirens of Lake Dillon at the 10th Timberline Cruiser Regatta (photos)
- Big Mountain Enduro at Keystone draws riders from across U.S.
- Summit Extreme Black Diamonds go 0-6 in week 3
- X Games medalist Matt Ladley takes on ‘Amazing Race’
- Breckenridge Dew Tour, Copper U.S. Grand Prix now qualifiers for 2018 Winter Olympics
- Goar: Vail Resorts leading the charge to address housing crisis (column)
- Blue River group recasts hopes of golden fishing designation
- Silverthorne celebrates opening of $9M performing arts center
- High Country Crime: ‘No evidence’ as judge drops pot charge against Eagle county surveyor
- Silverthorne construction fatality may have been caused by equipment blind spot, inspectors say