Summit County Fishing Report: Streams and reservoirs still fish nicely
November 6, 2012
Winter is creeping up on us and it won’t be long before ice fishing is the main game in townAlready, a few brave souls are seeking high elevation waters over 10,000 feet for hard water. If you go looking, use extreme caution as thin ice conditions are likely.
It’s far better to continue to fish open water for the next few weeks. Wolford Reservoir is seeing good numbers of kokanee showing up along the dam. Remember that snagging is illegal and they must be fair hooked in the mouth to keep. A popular technique is to use a pink or orange jig under a slip bobber. Spoons are also a good option.
Note that all boat ramps at South Park Reservoirs are now closed. Eleven Mile and Spinney Mountain reservoirs do allow foot-powered craft, such as float tubes only – no motors, oars or paddles. Antero Reservoir continues to allow hand-launched craft such as canoes and kayaks. All three reservoirs have water temperatures in the 30s, so ice up in close. Casting lures, jigging and tossing larger streamers with a fly rod are all great choices.
Don’t ignore the rivers. The Colorado River from Glenwood Springs upstream to Kremmling has been fishing well. This is a good time to fish minnow patterns, such as sinking rapalas, inline spinners, bass jerk baits and, for the fly fisher, large streamers. Look for fish to be holding in deeper water near shallow gravel bars. As always, please avoid fishing for spawning browns on redds.
Trending In: Sports
- Summit’s Hanna Markel makes D-1 women’s hockey debut with University of Minnesota-Duluth
- Slaying the first North American superpipe at the 2016 Rev Tour in Copper Mountain (photos and video)
- Dew Tour cancels modified superpipe with Danny Davis, Kelly Clark for 2016
- Dew Tour 101: Who to watch, what to know and where to go at Dew Tour Breckenridge 2016
- Dew Tour Q&A: Talking Dew Tour with Devin Logan, U.S. ski slopestyle veteran
- Merchants in Breckenridge to pay for customer parking validations
- Summit County locals open French-inspired bistro on Breckenridge Main St.
- Housing Divided, Part 12: Renters vulnerable in disputes with landlords
- Chairlift speed dating event at Loveland Ski Area Saturday
- Summit County weather forecast calls for steady snow throughout weekend