Summit County Fishing Report: Warmth brings tailwater fishing
January 23, 2013
With the recent “warm spell,” afternoons will offer periods when anglers can fish tailwater fisheries such as the Blue River below Dillon and South Park’s Dream Stream and not have to deal with icing guides. Stealth, light tippets and small midges (18’s and smaller) are the norm. If you’re first on the water (rare), consider trying a small streamer in deeper runs.
For most anglers, ice fishing remains the primary game. Green Mountain Reservoir has a good foot of ice and has been fishing fair for small lake trout, mostly in the 14-20 inch class. Most successful anglers are working with tubes tipped with sucker meat in waters 40 feet and deeper. Go shallower near shore for rainbows and browns.
Wolford Reservoir has over a foot of ice. Due to low water, only ATVs and snowmobiles are allowed on the ice, no street vehicles. Be aware, there is some open water near the northern tower. Be safe and avoid fishing near there. Fishing for trout has been good using a variety of baits and jigs.
Always a favorite of lake trout anglers, Granby fishing has slowed a bit. However, by going to 2-3-inch tubes and jigs a few fish are being caught. Tipping them with a strip of sucker is a good idea. Consider moving away from heavily fished areas for better action. With nearly a foot of ice, ATV and snowmobiles will get you to those areas without issue. South Park, Antero and Eleven Mile reservoirs are producing a few fish, but action has slowed over the last couple weeks. However, fishing traffic hasn’t slowed.
Editor’s Note: The Summit County Fishing Report should reappear on upcoming Wednesdays.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Prep roundup: Senior breaks all-time digs record, football looks to get past tough week, boys soccer wraps up
- Mountain Wheels: Lexus’ brave GS-F demonstrates power on a big platform (review)
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- KneeHab: Sex for knee patients? It’s a thing, and other post-op thoughts
- KneeHab: 7 yoga poses for ACL rehab and recovery
- Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush,’ ‘mining for ratings,’ faces lawsuit from Park County neighbors
- The fate of skiing: Winter Park Resort bucks trends as industry concerns grow over lack of skiing millennials
- ‘Opt-out’ votes look like slam dunks in Silverthorne, Dillon
- Park County residents rescue dog from 25-foot mine shaft in Fairplay (video)
- New 6-person chairlift installed at Keystone Resort (photo slideshow)