Summit County Fishing Report: Warmth brings tailwater fishing
January 23, 2013
With the recent “warm spell,” afternoons will offer periods when anglers can fish tailwater fisheries such as the Blue River below Dillon and South Park’s Dream Stream and not have to deal with icing guides. Stealth, light tippets and small midges (18’s and smaller) are the norm. If you’re first on the water (rare), consider trying a small streamer in deeper runs.
For most anglers, ice fishing remains the primary game. Green Mountain Reservoir has a good foot of ice and has been fishing fair for small lake trout, mostly in the 14-20 inch class. Most successful anglers are working with tubes tipped with sucker meat in waters 40 feet and deeper. Go shallower near shore for rainbows and browns.
Wolford Reservoir has over a foot of ice. Due to low water, only ATVs and snowmobiles are allowed on the ice, no street vehicles. Be aware, there is some open water near the northern tower. Be safe and avoid fishing near there. Fishing for trout has been good using a variety of baits and jigs.
Always a favorite of lake trout anglers, Granby fishing has slowed a bit. However, by going to 2-3-inch tubes and jigs a few fish are being caught. Tipping them with a strip of sucker is a good idea. Consider moving away from heavily fished areas for better action. With nearly a foot of ice, ATV and snowmobiles will get you to those areas without issue. South Park, Antero and Eleven Mile reservoirs are producing a few fish, but action has slowed over the last couple weeks. However, fishing traffic hasn’t slowed.
Editor’s Note: The Summit County Fishing Report should reappear on upcoming Wednesdays.
Trending In: Sports
- Back pain? Be gone with 7 yoga poses from physical therapists
- ‘Writing the book’: On a ski bike at Keystone with Devin Lenz of Lenz Sports
- Mountain Wheels: Best-selling Toyota Camry goes long and lean for its latest generation (column)
- Moguls, slalom and big-mountain results from Team Summit and Loveland Ski Club
- WinterBike is back at Copper with moonlight fat biking and Strider races, all on snow
- In Breckenridge, a possible parking garage and roundabout on the horizon
- Breckenridge police issued shelter in place warning due to barricarded individual
- Smell of weed in Denver leads feds to bust of Nebraska marijuana network
- Summit County churches rally behind pastor for new cancer treatment center
- Hickenlooper appointee files 64 disability access cases