Summit County Gear Guide: Slay those rays
June 17, 2013
We've heard it for years — Baz Luhrman even wrote a song about it — wear sunscreen. However, even the most advanced products come with the need for constant reapplication, have a sticky consistency and will, without a doubt, end up in your eyes. Do we have any other options? Sun protection is a no-brainer when you're adventure seeking at 10,000 feet, so we've scoured the county for the top alternatives to protect your face, eyes and body from our dearly beloved's rays.
Chocklite Jacket UPF 50 by Mountain Hardwear
This coat, available for men and women, is the perfect packable, lightweight wind shell to take along anywhere. Woven with abrasion-resistant nylon and coated with durable water repellant, it's tough enough for rock climbing and extended backcountry travel. The jacket stuffs into the left-hand pocket for easy transport, and the added UPF 50 rating makes this all you need for those flash downpours throughout the season.
Retail: $100 at The Mountain Goat Clothing Co., Breckenridge
Men's Dexter Plaid Short Sleeve Shirt UPF 35 by Marmot
The sun's warmth on the skin is completely necessary for most when spending summer days outside. With the help of some additional sun block on the arms, this short-sleeve shirt is perfect for your overall protection. With a UPF rating of 35, this shirt is packable and breathable, with lightweight, performance fabric. Its abrasion-resistant nylon Supplex is quick drying and moisture resistant to keep you comfortable through any activity. Since it is available in three brightly colored plaids, might as well wear it all summer.
Retail: $59 at The Mountain Goat Clothing Co., Breckenridge
Ollie Dress UPF 50+ by Lole
This super cute frock is the epitome of simplicity for any active summer day. With an empire waist and asymmetric hem, feel comfortable going from tennis to martinis. Made with Lole's 2nd Skin Fabric, this piece is coated with a wicking treatment and rated at UPF 50+, so you stay dry and burn-free all day long.
Retail: $70 at Rivers, Frisco
Liberator Convertible Men's Pants UPF 40 with Quick Dry by Kuhl
Talk about convenience. These pants, in the sleekest way, provide a swift conversion to shorts without any compromise of style and with zippers that won't snag and are hidden from view. The Liberator pants feature Kuhl Rhino Technology, which places rugged exterior fabrics on top of soft, stretchy material for excellent durability and freedom of movement. Sun protection included, these are made for any trail, any day.
Retail: $89 at Rivers, Frisco
News from across the Web
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- End of an era: Arapahoe Basin volunteer ski patrol program finished after at least 4 decades
- Dillon Marina, Frisco Bay Marina open for 2017 boating season on Memorial Day weekend
- Summit County Ark Sharks win R4 Nationals rafting comp, now headed to 2018 Worlds
- Cycling heavyweight Tyler Hamilton (plus free beer!) at Westin Riverfront in Avon June 8
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Vail Resorts, Summit County strike deal on Keystone workforce housing
- Summit County police blotter: Woman unfazed by bee swarm inside her car
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area to extend season with bonus weekend
- I-70 road update: Eastbound now open at Vail Pass after crash
- Faces of Hope, Part 1: Frisco mother still coming to terms with her son’s 2006 suicide