Summit Foundation Cup dual slalom is Saturday
March 7, 2013
The Summit Foundation Cup is a Summit County tradition that has been running for 30 years, providing an inexpensive way for young athletes to experience the joy of alpine ski racing.
This year, the event is slated for Saturday at the Frisco Adventure Park. It includes a parent-child race, barbecue and costume party.
The “dual stubby slalom” begins at 8:30 a.m., with meet time between 7:45 and 8:15 am.
With the help of the town of Frisco, the Summit Foundation, Breckenridge Ski Resort and Team Summit, entry for athletes is free, and lift tickets are provided for athletes who need them. Races are designed to be a fun experience for the young athletes, and awards are given to the top 10 individuals in each of five age groups: Boys and girls ages 6 and under, 7-8 year olds, 9-10 year olds, 11-12 year olds and 13-14 year olds.
Parent-child duos (mom-son, mom-daughter, dad-son and dad-daughter) will be scored based on their best time. Children without a parent racing can select an adult friend or coach to be scored as a team.
Past winners include former U.S. Ski Team members Jason Rosener, Jake Fiala and Casey Snyder.
Team Summit and Team Breckenridge Sports Club both have athletes participating in the event.
The costume party is a celebration of the 2012-13 ski season, and encourages costumes be worn to race. The top three costumes for boys, girls, moms and dads each get awards.
Tubing is also available for a cost of $20 if pre-registered. The cost goes up to $25 for day-of registration and is dependent on availability.
The barbecue follows the racing, with burgers, hot dogs, chips, snacks and drinks – and adult beverages available through the Day Lodge Cafe. Table will be available, but attendees should bring their own chair. Recommended donation is $5 per child and $10 per adult.
For more information, call or email Jerry Karl at (970) 390-6680 or email@example.com. To park, drop skis, athletes and equipment off at the Day Lodge and then proceed to the ballooned parking area. Carpooling is encouraged.
News from across the Web
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Work It Out: 8 best yoga poses for recovery and relaxation
- Breckenridge Bike Guide: Gold Run Rush preview (video)
- A world-class cliff-diver’s letter to his younger self
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Results from the 2017 Morning Thunder trail race, plus Summit Titans win hoops tourney
- Frisco’s 10 Mile Music Hall will be biggest venue of its kind in the Rockies, owners say
- Breckenridge ambulance provider stripped of transport rights after spat with county government
- Vail Resorts declines Summit County request to split $300k in housing project costs
- Summit Daily editorial: What happened to Vail Resorts’ $30 million housing pledge?
- Faces of Hope, Part 5: Breckenridge couple learns to live with pain of son’s suicide