Summit High golf team opens season at Battlement Mesa
August 13, 2013
The 2013 Summit High School golf season got underway Thursday with a 19 team tournament hosted by Grand Valley and played at Battlement Mesa. Ten 3A, six 4A and three 5A schools competed in this event. The 3A division was won by Vail Christian with a score of 224. The 5A was won by Grand Junction-223, and 4A was won by Steamboat-235. Individual leaders were Clayton Crawford (Aspen)-69, Tristan Rohrbraugh (Basalt)-70, and Trevor Olkowski (Grand Junction)-71
Summit High, who plays in 4A, finished third in their division with a 244. They were eighth of 19 overall. These scores were the result of playing five and counting the three best scores.
"I was pleased and encouraged with today's performance, particularly because there have been only three qualifying days and no official practices in the season thus far," said coach Gary Sorensen.
Four of the five SHS golfers played in the event last year. Nick Wittrock shot an 82 at this year's tournament, an improvement of seven strokes over last year.
Mike Magnuson shot 85 for a four stroke improvement. Jack Bilenduke's 89 shot seven better, and Garrison Ortega shot 94 for an 18 stroke gain. Summit's fifth player, Dave Metzger, who didn't play the event last year, shot a team leading 77. Dave's round included nine pars, two birds, and nothing higher than bogy.
Competition continues next week with three consecutive tournaments: Monday at Lakota Canyon, Tuesday at Eagle Vail, and Wednesday at Gypsum Creek.
Trending In: Sports
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- The Outsider: Is Gaper Day at A-Basin on the decline?
- MCL tears are a common ski injury
- 2016-17 season passes for Copper Mountain and Epic Pass ski resorts now on sale at discounted rates
- As skimo booms, Colorado athletes qualify for World Championships in Italy on Feb. 23
- Probation sentence for seven-time DUI offender highlights prosecutors’ frustration over recent law change
- Dog seriously injured after run-in with skier on Tiehack in Aspen
- Lake Tahoe weather: 3+ feet of snow blankets region; power outages begin
- Trump administration puts recreational marijuana in crosshairs
- Greeley teen identified as victim of train wreck in Eaton