Summit High School alpine team closes season at Ski Cooper, looks ahead to state
February 9, 2014
The Summit Tiger Alpine ski team wrapped up their regular season last week with races at Loveland Ski Area and Ski Cooper Thursday and Friday. Strong performances by Summit's Anne Parker and Danielle Moulton led the way for the Tigers. The two took turns claiming the top two podium spots with Parker taking first at Loveland in slalom Thursday. Moulton finished in the top spot to close the season at Ski Cooper Friday in giant slalom.
Together with Ellie Brown-Wolf, the three have put themselves in the driver's seat headed into the state Alpine and Nordic championships Thursday, Feb. 13, and Friday, Feb. 14 at Eldora Ski Area.
"Any one of those girls is capable of winning states," Tiger coach Tommy Gogolen said Sunday. "We like our chances for a state championship title for the girls."
He added that either girl could contend for the individual state title.
The boys team will have to contend with strong opponents in Aspen and Battle Mountain high schools, but Gogolen believes the team is still a top contender for third.
"We had some big names leave us and graduate this year, a lot of juniors stepped up," he said. "The clear favorites are Battle Mountain and Aspen. Third would be a great accomplishment."
Recommended Stories For You
Brian Coleman, Jack Bilenduke and Jack Farrell will lead the way for the boys. The trio had already qualified for state and finished outside of the top 10 in their final two races.
"It's good to see these boys peaking at the end of the season."
The three will be joined by freshman standout Slav Uglyar Ivanov.
"Slav is a surprise," Gogolen said. "He can definitely put down a top 15, which is impressive for a freshman."
Sophomore track and cross-country star McKenna Ramsay has also been a surprise, Gogolen said.
"She's never raced before and for her to qualify for states is pretty impressive."
Her twin brother Logan will also be headed to state.
Summit qualified a total of 16 for state, between the girls and boys alpine teams.
The Tigers Nordic team closed their season Saturday, Feb. 1, in Minturn. They will also head to states Thursday and Friday at Eldora.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Team Summit freestyle skier Tori Ware recognized as USSA Rocky Mountain Division Colorado All-Star
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- KneeHab: Sex for knee patients? It’s a thing, and other post-op thoughts
- KneeHab: 7 yoga poses for ACL rehab and recovery
- Prep roundup: Tigers XC posts 18 personal-bests in Rifle
- Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush,’ ‘mining for ratings,’ faces lawsuit from Park County neighbors
- Vail Resorts to buy The North Face and Columbia stores in Breckenridge
- Hate ski boots but love to ski? This Colorado company created a way to allow skiers to wear snowboard boots
- Frisco workforce-housing project delayed amid rising construction costs
- US beer critic names Frisco’s Outer Range a top new brewery