Summit High School’s Wyatt qualifies for state diving
February 3, 2013
When Summit dive coach Joe Baldwin saw the score, he started jumping up and down, excited for his diver.
Tiger senior Hailey Wyatt didn’t know what was happening.
That is, until Baldwin stopped to tell Wyatt she had qualified for state – by a mere three-tenths of a point.
At the Western Slope Conference Championships on Saturday, Wyatt earned an overall score of 300.30, earning her the team’s sole appearance at the state meet at Veteran’s Memorial Aquatic Center in Thornton on Saturday.
“She was having trouble in her first eight dives, but she absolutely crushed it on her last three dives,” Baldwin said, adding that when he told her the score, “she got these really big eyes.”
Wyatt finished fifth overall at the league meet, while fellow Lady Tiger Tessa Gunnin placed eighth.
The team’s swimmers sent several to finals on Saturday following Friday’s races.
The best finish on Saturday was Olya Aden’s 500-yard freestyle swim, which she clocked at 6:14.43, her best time by more than 11 seconds. She’d shaved about six seconds off to qualify for finals and then cut another five on Saturday. She was fifth overall in the event.
“We were going crazy for Olya,” SHS swim coach Jenny Wischmeyer said, adding that though she’s unsure how the team finished overall, “the depth of our team really helped us. We have so many girls on our team, and that really helped us.” Mostly because Summit earned extra points by sending two relays in each relay event to finals.
The results of the Western Slope Conference Championships at Colorado Mesa University are:
Trending In: Sports
- 4 winter sports to burn calories and have a blast
- Mark McMorris, Gus Kenworthy, Jamie Anderson and more confirmed for Dew Tour Dec. 8-11
- Dew Tour pros talk team rivalries before the new, improved tour Dec. 8-11
- Dew Tour cancels modified superpipe with Danny Davis, Kelly Clark for 2016
- Summit County resorts embrace the complete ski and snowboard lesson experience
- Vail Resorts’ partner submits Keystone workforce housing proposal
- Breckenridge Distillery opens new restaurant with ‘Top Chef’
- Video footage from Breckenridge’s Race of the Santas; Bernese Mountain Dog parade
- Breckenridge dog mauled by mastiff, put down a month later
- Summit Daily letters: Frisco Town Council rushes to build superblock on Main Street