Summit High sports roundup
September 23, 2013
With the leaves turning and nights cooling, the Summit High School sports calendar is approaching mid-season. Teams are starting to show their true colors with the standings continuing to tally wins and losses. For some it means continuing to build and finding mid-season form, while others may need a change of game plan. Here's our weekly round-up that was and the week that will be.
The boys golf team wrapped up their season with a tough showing at regionals in Gypsum last Tuesday. The team finished tied for eighth shooting a 256. While head coach Gary Sorensen had high hopes that a few players would qualify for state, the Gypsum Creek golf course had other ideas. Seniors Mike Magnuson and Nick Wittrock fell just 2-strokes short of entering a playoff for the final qualifying slots for state. The full story is available online at summitdaily.com.
The Tigers fell to league opponent Lutheran 48-2 on Saturday in Parker. They will host back-to-back home games, starting with a league game against D'Evelyn on Friday.
The girls rugby team was scheduled to host Minnesota's Armstrong rugby club, ranked No. 10 in the nation last season, for a two game series over the weekend. Travel complications caused Armstrong to cancel, they have yet to reschedule. The lady Tigers will resume their regular season schedule with an away game at league opponent Chaparral on Wednesday, Sept 25. Their game earlier this season was canceled due to front range flooding. The Tigers home game against Chaparral has been rescheduled for Oct. 7.
Summit girls volleyball had another tough outing this week falling 3-1 to Eagle Valley at home in four sets. Summit's scoring efforts continued but they were unable to close out more than one set. With the loss, the team fell to 0-3 in league play and 2-6 overall on the season. They have a busy week with games at Englewood Tuesday, Sept. 24, home to Palisade Thursday, Sept. 26, and at Delta Saturday, Sept. 29.
For SHS soccer and cross country coverage, see the full stories online.
News from across the Web
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- End of an era: Arapahoe Basin volunteer ski patrol program finished after at least 4 decades
- Colorado kayakers, rafters won’t get high flows on the mellow Blue River this Memorial Day weekend
- Summit ‘Rugby’ County, USA: Home to the Blue Goose, Renegades and Summit Tigers rugby clubs
- Dillon Marina, Frisco Bay Marina open for 2017 boating season on Memorial Day weekend
- Mountain Wheels: Audi’s high-energy SQ5 SUV aims at performance-minded drivers (review)
- BREAKING: Silverthorne police request residents take shelter
- Faces of Hope, Part 1: Frisco mother still coming to terms with her son’s 2006 suicide
- Summit High School honors seven ’17 senior scholars
- Silverthorne developer seeks community feedback on project that could transform town
- Historic Frisco cabin to be disassembled after sagging under years of snow