Summit Mountain Challenge bike series resumes with Swan River Rampage
July 10, 2013
After a holiday break, the Summit Mountain Challenge continues today with the Swan River Rampage, the third installment in the seven-race mountain bike series.
"It's one of the more backcountry-esque courses in the series," said Jeff Westcott, race director for Maverick Sports Promotions. "We're in the part of the season where we're into the more backcountry-oriented courses."
That means moving from multi-lap circuit courses to larger one-lap races and getting deeper into our surrounding wilderness.
The Swan Mountain Rampage kicks off the series shift and features one of the more celebrated portions of trail in Summit County: Two and a half miles into the race the course jumps on to a popular section of the Colorado Trail.
"It's on everybody's must-do ride list," Westcott said. "You're on one of the most cherished sections of the Colorado Trail."
But that doesn't mean riders will go without punishment. They'll have to earn their fun with a grueling initial assent, according to Westcott.
"It's a significant sustained climb," he said. But it comes with a nice payoff: "The reward is triple the climb!"
Westcott described the descent on the course as two-and-a-half times the length of the climb, and one of the best rides in the area.
The Swan Mountain Challenge offers a 17-mile loop and a shorter 10.5-mile option. There is also a 1.8-mile kids' race for ages 12 and under.
Races will start and finish at Good Times Adventures off Tiger Road, near Breckenridge.
Post-race festivities and awards will be held at the finish line. Registration is open online, and day-of registration will be available before the start.
News from across the Web
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Dirt, wind and pirates in Frisco at Timberline Cruiser Regatta and free Frisco Bike Fling on June 24
- Breckenridge Bike Guide: Eric Mamula’s Breck lunch loop
- Go virtual snow tubing at Keystone Resort on a sunny June afternoon (360 video)
- Work It Out: 8 best yoga poses for recovery and relaxation
- Breckenridge Dew Tour, Copper U.S. Grand Prix now qualifiers for 2018 Winter Olympics
- Silverthorne construction fatality may have been caused by equipment blind spot, inspectors say
- Frisco’s 10 Mile Music Hall will be biggest venue of its kind in the Rockies, owners say
- A sneak peek at the $9 million Silverthorne Performing Arts Center (video, photos)
- Faces of Hope, Part 5: Breckenridge couple learns to live with pain of son’s suicide
- Breckenridge ambulance provider stripped of transport rights after spat with county government