Summit Mountain Challenge is back for 2013
June 12, 2013
2013 SMC schedule
- June 19: Gold Run Rush, presented by The Wellington Neighborhood
- July 10: Swan River Rampage
- July 24: Pennsylvania Gulch Grind, presented by Peak-a-Boo Toys
- Aug. 7: Soda Creek Scramble
- Aug. 20: Peaks Trail Time Trial (Alternate date
- Aug. 21: Keystone River Run Rally)
- Sept. 8: The Fall Classic
The 2013 Summmit Mountain Challenge (SMC) mountain bike racing series kicked off Wednesday evening with the Frisco Roundup. Each event in the series features a number of racing classes with races on Wednesday nights throughout the summer. The series, now run by Maverick Sports Promotions, started in 1987. Maverick took over operations in 2001.
“It’s (SMC) a party disguised as a bike race,” says event organizer Jeff Westscott.
The Frisco Roundup is the oldest race in the series and the only one to be run in each of the SMC’s 27 years.
While SMC crowns a series champion for every level of competition at its final event (The Fall Classic, Sept. 8), Westscott said the races are open to competitors who elect to participate only in single events.
Each race includes a number of classes for a range of ages and ability levels.
“Course lengths vary for ability class,” said Westscott.
Youth-level courses generally range from 3-7 miles. Adult races range from 7-20 miles.
The next race in the series is the Gold Run Rush on June 19 in Breckenridge. Early race registration for a single race costs $25; day-of registration is $30.
Complete event results and racing series information can be found at http://www.mavsports.com
Trending In: Sports
- Meet Nate Dogggg’s heirs to 1st chair at Arapahoe Basin
- Pre-season training for avalanche rescue dogs? It’s a thing
- Before HS state champs, locals find power in pedaling with The Cycle Effect
- Mountain Wheels: Further-transformed Hyundai Santa Fe is a pleasant pick
- Best of 2017 Colorado skis from Meier, Rocky Mountain Underground, Fat-ypus and more