Summit Tiger hockey first home game Friday
December 6, 2013
After opening the season at Battle Mountain with a 3-0 loss, the Summit Tiger hockey team will look to turn things around in their first home game Friday night against non-conference opponent Aspen.
"We had a good first and third period," former assistant and now head coach Bobby Dore said of the loss, "but too many penalties (in the second) came back to haunt us."
Battle Mountain scored all three of their goals in the second period, the first at even strength and two on a powerplay.
"You can't score from the penalty box," Dore said.
With a new head coach and a number of seniors graduating last year, Dore described the coming season as a rebuilding year.
"Different era, different attitude," he said. "We're a young squad."
Last year the team fell just short of the playoffs with a tie in their final game of the season — had they won they would have been in.
Dore said if his young team can cut back on the penalties they could be solid going forward.
They'll play Aspen Friday night at 5:15 p.m. at the ice rink in Breckenridge.
"We played them in preseason and beat them 3-2. It's going to be a totally different team from what we played in the preseason."
Both teams had members participating in other fall sports during their first meeting.
Following Friday's game the team will head to Resurrection Christian Saturday for their next conference game.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Skateboarders descend on Breckenridge for Battle on the Blue
- Pro snowboarder Torstein Horgmo’s video log takes you to Copper Mountain’s public park
- Your guide to Summit County’s best OHV and Jeep trails
- Local Hiking Trails Summit: The magnificent amphitheater of Mayflower Gulch
- Breckenridge Hiking Trails: Mohawk Lake
- Colorado 14er for sale: Buy Culebra Peak in the Sangre de Cristo Range for $105 million
- First family of whitewater: Into roaring Browns Canyon with the Foleys of Performance Tours Rafting (video)
- Eagle man allegedly tried to beat to death female bartender at closing time
- Biff America: Six commandments we can all agree on (column)
- Mountain Wheels: Second-generation Subaru Crosstrek aims at outdoorspeople (column)